Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1009751
huge spike in size of debuginfo-common packages
Last modified: 2013-10-02 02:35:49 EDT
Between 3.10 and 3.11, there was a huge spike in the size of the debuginfo-common packages in f20 and f21, but not f19. The debuginfo-common-i686 packages in f19 were sized at about 45MB, just like the 3.9.0-1 and 3.10.0-1 packages built in the f20 collection. The 3.11.0-1 package in f20, however, jumped up to more than 950MB; the last few -rc7 packages in f20, that did not include the -debug variants, was at a “mere” 350MB.
I've looked a bit into it, and I noticed that the recent debuginfo-common packages seem to contain all of the vmlinux and *.debug files that are duplicated in the non-common debuginfo packages, in addition to the sources. The only significant difference between the spec files is that the macro that sets debuginfo_args contains some “+”s in f20 that, in f19, appear as “.”s. I don't quite understand that change, so I can't tell whether it caused the change, or whether the cause is in rpm or elsewhere in the build machinery.
I was mistaken when I wrote debuginfo-common-i686 contained the data that should have been in all other kernel*debuginfo packages. It does not contain files that are present in kernel-debuginfo; only the other variants are ending up in the debuginfo-common package.
Another bit I noticed right after posting this: the PAE-debuginfo, debug-debuginfo and PAEdebug-debuginfo packages are nearly empty. It looks like debuginfo-common is preempting all the variant debuginfo files.
I see dirnames in debuginfo-common match the *i686+PAE* glob pattern in f20, which explains the change to the debuginfo_args pattern. I guess it the + sign needs more quoting to avoid having it interpreted as 1-or-more of the previous character; perhaps changing \+ to e.g. [+] in the debuginfo_args expression will make the selection regexp work without having to get the amount of quoting just right.
OK, I'll take a look. This likely came in with the solution Harald came up with for sorting out the kernel-install issues with variant kernels. CC'd him as well.
Thanks for the tip. Using  seems to have worked as you suggested. Here is a scratch build with that change, and the debuginfo RPMs appear correct now.
I've committed the fix to F20 and master.
kernel-3.11.2-301.fc20 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 20.
* should fix your issue,
* was pushed to the Fedora 20 testing repository,
* should be available at your local mirror within two days.
Update it with:
# su -c 'yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing kernel-3.11.2-301.fc20'
as soon as you are able to, then reboot.
Please go to the following url:
then log in and leave karma (feedback).
kernel-3.11.2-301.fc20 has been pushed to the Fedora 20 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.