Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1011591
Manual patch instructions and contents inaccurate
Last modified: 2013-09-27 01:20:44 EDT
Created attachment 802298 [details]
README.txt with comments
Description of problem:
The contents of manual patch (BZ-986451.zip) in the Roll Up Patch BRMS_5.3.1_3_2013 is inconsistent. There are two problems:
1. Manual patch instructions (README.txt) in Roll Up Patch BRMS_5.3.1_3_2013 are not accurate. Some files are missing and a few file paths are wrong - please see the attached README.txt with comments and suggested fixes.
2. The same Drools libraries jars placed in several subdirectories of the patch have different content. For example:
This affects the following jars:
These jars are also different (MD5 sums differ) from their counterparts in brms-p-5.3.1.GA-standalone.zip in this roll-up patch.
The BZ986451/commons-httpclient.jar which is copied into $REST_HOME/lib/ and $SEAM_HOME/lib is different (MD5 sums differ) from the commons-httpclient.jar distributed in brms-p-5.3.1.GA-standalone.zip in this roll-up patch. I am not sure if this is intended, though.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
I have investigated the jar differences in detail:
drools-compiler-5.3.1.BRMS-P04.jar - the only difference is timestamps, which is not an issue
drools-core-5.3.1.BRMS-P04.jar, jbpm-flow-5.3.1.BRMS-P04.jar - these two jars differ from their counterparts not only in timestamps, but some classes they contain are actually different
commons-httpclient.jar - one class is different when comparing with its counterparts in $REST_HOME/lib/ and $SEAM_HOME/lib
I can attach diff output, if needed.
Created attachment 802635 [details]
backup.sh - script used for testing manual patch instructions
Created attachment 802636 [details]
remove.sh - script used for testing manual patch instructions
Created attachment 802637 [details]
patch.sh - script used for testing manual patch instructions
In case you could use some (really basic) scripts for testing manual patch instructions, I have attached 3 scripts that I used to verify patching of standalone distribution.
Please update the variables defining file locations in each script first.
The scripts are run in the following order against BRMS 5.3.1 GA standalone:
- backup.sh - copies original versions of jars being patched from the standalone distribution into a directory specified in the script
- remove.sh - deletes the old versions of jars being patched from the standalone distribution
- patch.sh - copies patched jars into the standalone distribution
The scripts should not print any warnings.
I have found another problem with manual patch:
BZ986451/business-central-server-ee6.war/WEB-INF/lib does not contain the following jars (while BZ986451/business-central-server.war/WEB-INF/lib contains them):
Ok, jars are in BZ986451/business-central-server-ee6.war/WEB-INF/lib now.
After sorting out a few additional inaccuracies patch instructions, I have verified that the patch instructions are now correct, and manually patching 5.3.1.GA leads to a binary equivalent to the one distributed in the 5.3.1-P04 patch.