Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1012084
[Doc Bug Fix] Section about enabling clustering in managed domain mode is incorrect
Last modified: 2014-09-29 14:33:35 EDT
Section Number and Name:
8.4. Implement an HA Singleton
-> Procedure 8.3. Implement an HA Singleton Service
-> 2. Start each JBoss EAP 6 instance with clustering enabled.
-> a, Enable clustering for servers running in a managed domain.
Describe the issue:
First off, I'm not an expert on domain mode nor cli, but the examples provided didn't work for me with just unzipped EAP, so although I might have missed something, this section could definitely be improved.
There are several problems with the section:
"You should see the following response:
Connected to domain controller at 192.168.0.14"
I've seen no such response after correctly connecting to the host controller although I was using 127.0.0.1.
"d. Add the main-server server group."
The main-server-group already exists in default configuration and the cli will complain about duplicate resources.
"e. Create a server named server-one and add it to the main-server server group.
Server named server-one also exists in the default configuration (as does server-two) and the cli will again complain about duplicate resources. Host name station14Host2 also wasn't mentioned before, there probably should be added a note that we assume our hosts name is station14Host2 (as was done with the address of domain controller: "In this example, assume the IP address of the domain controller is 192.168.0.14.").
"g. Create a server named server-two, put it in a separate server group, and set its port offset to 100."
We need to create the second server group - distinct2 - in this case. This should be mentioned.
"b. Open the domain.xml configuration file for editing"
The example in this section is wrong, because it is missing the second server group - distinct2.
I hope this helps.
Some of the issues raised here are still valid, some are not:
1. "I've seen no such response after correctly connecting to the host controller" -- yes, this issue is still valid, no such text is printed
2. "The main-server-group already exists in default configuration" -- no, this issue is NOT valid anymore, the documentation now refers to "scheduler-server-group"
3. "Server named server-one also exists in the default configuration (as does server-two) and the cli will again complain about duplicate resources" -- yes, this issue is still valid when using default domain configuration
4. "We need to create the second server group - distinct2" -- no, this issue is NOT valid anymore, as the documentation now puts server-two into scheduler-server-group; on the other hand, server-two already exists in the default domain configuration so you will get the same error as in issue 3 above
5. "The example in this section is wrong, because it is missing the second server group - distinct2" -- no, this issue is NOT valid anymore, as the example now uses only a single server group
To sum up, from the 5 issues reported, only 1 and 3 are still valid; 2, 4 and 5 are no longer issues.
Also, please consider bug 1087548 -- in short, I believe that major portions of this chapter just duplicate the respective quickstart and could easily be deleted. The quickstart is better maintained and undergoes more rigorous QA.
I forgot to mention -- comment 1 is against Revision 6.3.0-15 of the Development Guide.
This can be verified here:
The whole subsection has been rewritten and uses standalone servers instead of domain configuration. Looks good, verified.