Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1017137
Gnome-software wrongly reports system is up to date
Last modified: 2014-03-21 05:27:12 EDT
Created attachment 809837 [details]
screenshot from VM - 2 software tools report different status regarding to update availability
Description of problem:
Gnome-software shows 'Software is up to date' even if new packages are available and offered for an update in software update application.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open Gnome-software
2. Jump on tab 'Updates'
3. User see message about upated system
4. Open software update tool and let it load - new packages are available for download and installation
Software tool shows updated system even if new packages are available for download
show list of packages available for installation, if applicable.
Available packages were listed in one of previous gnome-software versions (do not remember which version worked for the last time) but it does not work with actual version.
Please see screenshot for exact problem description
Thanks for your bug report Zdenek!
I have filed this upstream in the GNOME bug tracker:
I have also hit this issue before. However, when i hit it, gnome-software first reported that i had updates, but didn't actually do the updates, then when i went back into it, it informed me that the software was up-to-date.
Was the scenario you encountered similar?
Also, i think gnome-software checks for updates daily, are their updates showing up after waiting a day?
all in all though, i agree that this is a bug. :)
many thanks for such a fast reaction, I really appreciate your support!
Regarding your questions:
1) Honestly speaking, I didn't wait long time to let gnome-software reload repositories and make its daily check. So it is possible it would report new packages soon or later as well. I will test it.
2) In case of older version of gnome-software, I got the list of available updates immediately each time I clicked on 'Updates'. Gnome-software just performed short load (graphic circle of gradiently growing shadow dots) and then the list appeared. Well I didn't have the need to wait for its 'daily check' before.
3) My experience with updates installation under older version of gnome-software: Once the updates were available on tab 'Updates', I clicked on update button and confirmed pop-up message to reboot and update system. But no reboot (and installation) happened. Just Gnome session was stopped and system hanged (black screen).
After I forced system to reboot, gnome-software listed all available updates again after boot. New update attempt ended with hanged system again :)
I tested it on virtual machine so I wasn't sure if it was a problem of gnome-software or problem of too 'young' system.
I will keep the VM running for longer time now to see if gnome-software loads the updates.
Happy to see "reload" button in new Software. Herewith the report is not valid anymore. It is solved now.