Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1020345
when booting in text mode no luks password asked and creation of luks partition fails
Last modified: 2013-10-17 09:36:49 EDT
Description of problem: When choosing text mode as booting kernel paramater in F18 (Qubes-OS R2Beta2) LUKS fails to ask for password, creation of LUKS partition fails and so does subsequent install of Qubes-OS.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): 18.37.11
How reproducible: Always in text mode
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Run Qubes-OS R2Beta2
2. At 1st screen choose 'Troubleshooting' <ENTER>
3. At following screen (choose 'Install Qubes in basic graphics mode) and press TAB (for full configuration options on menu items)
4. replace 'xdriver=vesa' with 'text' (or just continue, the result will be the same -- except that in this case the following eror message will appear on a Toshiba C40D-108A: "X startup failed, falling back to text mode) and press <ENTER>
5. Watch the system boot until it asks for input, after
6. Choose time zone and Install Destination and press 'c' a sufficient number of times to continue
7. Watch the system end with a "LUKSError: luks device has no key/passphrase"
This is not the place to file bugs against Qubes. LUKS configuration is not available in text mode. Use graphical or VNC install.