Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1023366
[virsh cmd] Error message is not clear for commands blkiotune and schedinfo
Last modified: 2015-03-05 02:25:23 EST
For non-root user, when executing commands "virsh blkiotune <domainVM>" or "virsh schedinfo <domainVM>", error will occurs but error message is not clear.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Issue the following command to create a user and set its password:
#useradd non-root ; passwd non-root
2. Switch to user "non-root" by command "su - non-root", and create or import a VM named "DomainU1"
3. Execute commands "blkiotune" or "schedinfo" under "non-root" user, and error will occurs.
1. [non-root@localhost ~]$ virsh blkiotune DomainU1
error: Unable to get blkio parameters
error: Requested operation is not valid: blkio cgroup isn't mounted
2. [non-root@localhost ~]$ virsh schedinfo DomainU1
Scheduler : Unknown
error: Requested operation is not valid: cgroup CPU controller is not mounted
The above error message is not clear.
Error message should be clear and improved.
This issue occurs both on RHEL7 and RHEL6.5
Command "memtune" will have the same problem. These cannot be supported in session mode, so there should be proper error message printed out, working on that.
Fixed upstream with commit v1.2.2-48-g45ad1ad:
Author: Martin Kletzander <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu Feb 27 13:10:32 2014 +0100
qemu: Reject unsupported tuning in session mode
*** Bug 1121583 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
I can produce this bug on
verify it on
1. create a non-root user test
#su - test
2. prepare a guest under non-root user and start it normaly
$ virsh list --all
Id Name State
3 aaa running
3. run blkiotune ,schedinfo and memtunewith guest running, shutoff , paused. report error correct
$ virsh blkiotune aaa
error: Unable to get number of blkio parameters
error: unsupported configuration: Block I/O tuning is not available in session mode
$ virsh schedinfo aaa
Scheduler : Unknown
error: Operation not supported: CPU tuning is not available in session mode
$ virsh memtune aaa
error: Unable to get number of memory parameters
error: Operation not supported: Memory tuning is not available in session mode
move to verified
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.