Bug 102351 - [RHEL3 update] substitute font isn't correct anymore
Summary: [RHEL3 update] substitute font isn't correct anymore
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Classification: Red Hat
Component: openoffice.org (Show other bugs)
(Show other bugs)
Version: 3.0
Hardware: All Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Dan Williams
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: i18n
Depends On:
Blocks: 101028
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2003-08-14 08:40 UTC by Akira TAGOH
Modified: 2007-11-30 22:06 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

Fixed In Version: openoffice.org-1.1.2-21.2.EL3
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2005-04-26 06:49:38 UTC
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
Screenshot for oocalc with Japanese locale (34.13 KB, image/png)
2004-01-08 07:25 UTC, Akira TAGOH
no flags Details
Screenshot for oowriter with Japanese locale (31.73 KB, image/png)
2004-01-08 07:25 UTC, Akira TAGOH
no flags Details

Description Akira TAGOH 2003-08-14 08:40:50 UTC
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; ja-JP; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20030225

Description of problem:
Since we didn't use Andale Sans UI, registering the substitute font for that
isn't correct. basically it doesn't make any improvement.
Please update the openoffice-wrapper script.


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.start up the desktop with Japanese
2.run ooffice then
3.input Japanese, like: Ctrl+space, nihongo, space, enter.
    

Actual Results:  it should looks like the empty squares.

Expected Results:  correct Japanese should be shown.

Additional info:
This happens on Cambridge.

Comment 1 Akira TAGOH 2003-08-14 09:08:45 UTC
doh, correctly we just need to add the substitute font for Laxi Sans so that
it's a default font for us right now.

Comment 2 Leon Ho 2003-08-22 04:16:15 UTC
should we substitute "Nimbus Roman No9 L" because it is our body default text? 
However OO 1.0 has the problem that if we substitute single width font to double 
width font, the width of substitute will not be correct. However OO 1.1 solved the 
problem on that. Are we planning to update that in either release? 

Comment 3 Akira TAGOH 2003-08-22 11:39:56 UTC
Well, I've added the substitute entry for Nimbus Roman No9 L, it helps to show
the Japanese characters then. but it seems that the printing doesn't work on this.

Comment 4 Leon Ho 2003-08-25 03:18:41 UTC
Does the japanese display after substitution looks only to you? I checked and 
ja glyphs to me is sort of clumped together because the width is not correct.

Comment 5 Akira TAGOH 2003-12-11 05:29:05 UTC
This problem still appears on RHEL3. However OOo 1.1 fixed a lot.
except oocalc.  if I type Japanese on oocalc, oocalc shows Japanese as
the empty square. changing the font to the appropriate one is always
required to show Japanese on oocalc.

Comment 6 Dan Williams 2004-01-07 16:07:21 UTC
You're saying that Japanese looks like little squares in the document,
but that the UI font is correct?  What font would you suggest should
be the default font for Japanese locales using RHEL 3 with OOo 1.0?

Thanks, Dan

Comment 7 Akira TAGOH 2004-01-08 07:25:01 UTC
Created attachment 96824 [details]
Screenshot for oocalc with Japanese locale

Comment 8 Akira TAGOH 2004-01-08 07:25:55 UTC
Created attachment 96825 [details]
Screenshot for oowriter with Japanese locale

Comment 9 Akira TAGOH 2004-01-08 07:41:49 UTC
Well, yes. I've attached the screenshot. you can know the problem what
happened on Japanese locale.
I would explain some stuff.

- oowriter
Actually I type Japanese on oowriter, but it looks like the space.
though this problem is fixed in 1.1.x, what the freak on Japanese,
Nimbus Roman No9 L doesn't have Japanese glyphs. so if we can't
upgrade OOo to 1.1.x for RHEL3, we will have to make a substitute font
for Nimbus Roman No9 L to Kochi Mincho.

- oocalc
As I said this problem still appears on even 1.1.x, because the
default font doesn't have Japanese glyphs. also the default font can't
be changed easily by the configuration.


Comment 10 Leon Ho 2004-04-07 03:42:18 UTC
OO 1.1.1 fixed on the oocalc problem as well. Let me know if you guys
have any plans on building 1.1.1 on future RHEL3 updates. Otherwise
this bug can be closed.

Comment 11 Dan Williams 2004-09-16 20:40:25 UTC
We should be able to fix this with RHEL3 U4

Comment 12 Dan Williams 2004-11-03 17:11:45 UTC
Does this still happen for 1.1.2 in FC3?  That's probably what will
get released for RHEL3 at some near future point...

Comment 13 Leon Ho 2004-11-04 03:32:20 UTC
For japanese:

# LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 oowriter
+ The substitute font is good. It able to substitute as soon as it starts

# LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 oocalc
- It does not have substitute font at start up (Using Nimbus Sans L)

# LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 impress
+ The substitute font is good. It able to substitute as soon as it starts

oocalc still not very ideal for international users.

Comment 17 Lawrence Lim 2005-03-04 07:22:40 UTC
Tested with openoffice.org-1.1.2-21.2.EL3, this has been fixed. Tried
on all CJK locales.

Comment 19 Dan Williams 2005-03-07 06:01:04 UTC
Fixed in:

RHEL3: 1.1.2-22.2.2.EL3


Comment 20 Jay Turner 2005-04-26 06:49:38 UTC
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on the solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2005-375.html


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.