Description of problem:
I've been using a purchased copy of Redhat 7.2 on my systems for quite awhile
now and had no problems, a friend came by the other day and loaned me his RH
8.0 discs, so I decided to upgrade my installation, and now all my term colors
are broken. Before when linux booted up in a text format, you'd see the startup
messages where the hardware posted and it finally came to the point where it
would load up services and it'd say:
Setting up eth0 connection: [ OK ]
The [ OK ] part was always a bright bold green, now its dark green, all my reds
are now dark red, and so on. It screws up all my 'ls' colors and telnet colors,
like dark white (grey) shows up as pure black making it unreadable on a black
background so I've been trying to get it back to how it was since its a problem
for me. I've messed around with the /etc/DIR_COLORS, /etc/DIR_COLORS.xterm
files and that doesn't change anything no matter if I set say the color
for '.tar' files to be bold or not bold, they're ALWAYS dark. Now I know its a
problem because I can change the color, I make it it show '.tar' files as
green, but again, no bold, only dark. I thought it might've been a software
problem, so I reinstalled onto a clean machine, fresh format, and voila same
exact problem. Reformatted, went back to 7.2, and there my bright bold colors
were back, I compared files and they were identical, it just appears 8.0, and
subsequently 9.0 which i tried a few hours ago, has this 'bold' color problem
where it will ONLY show the dark colors in the term window.
Thought I'd pass this on, see if you guys could get this fixed for the next
release, I know its something minor, and insignificant, but it'd mean a whole
lot to this end user, and its also nice to just fix the bugs like this that
happen to pop up. =)
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Redhat Linux 8.0, 9.0
Steps to Reproduce:
Can contact me via e-mail or call me for a walkthrough to see how this happens.
541-747-9040 name is Leonard Burns.
This is because of the switch to unicode; using extra characters for fonts on
the console does not allow for the use of the bold colors.