Bug 102619 - KeepAlive setting in Apache httpd.conf is wrong
KeepAlive setting in Apache httpd.conf is wrong
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: httpd (Show other bugs)
i586 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Joe Orton
Brian Brock
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2003-08-18 16:10 EDT by Chris Merrill
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:56 EDT (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2003-08-20 09:01:34 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Chris Merrill 2003-08-18 16:10:44 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030529

Description of problem:
After a new installation of RH9, the KeepAlive setting in the httpd.conf file says:

# KeepAlive: Whether or not to allow persistent connections (more than
# one request per connection). Set to "Off" to deactivate.
KeepAlive false

The documentation clearly states that should be 'On' or 'Off', in both the
config file and the Apache docs.

Also, please consider changing the default to "On" since this gives
significantly better performance.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

How reproducible:

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install RH9

Actual Results:  Config file uses 'false' for the KeepAlive setting.

Expected Results:  The KeepAlive setting should be 'On' or 'Off', with the
Apache default being 'On'.

Additional info:
Comment 1 Joe Orton 2003-08-20 09:01:34 EDT
The default config in RHL9 has:

"KeepAlive Off"

I'm not sure where you got "false" from.  It's off by default deliberately;
enabling keepalive can tie up server children which can actually hurt
performance on high-volume sites.
Comment 2 Chris Merrill 2003-08-20 09:18:50 EDT
I got it from a fresh RH9 installation.  I was wondering if somebody else had
changed it, so I checked my server at home (which nobody else has access to) and
it was 'false' on that one, as well.  It was also a fresh RH9 installation.  

Maybe my ISOs are old and the problem has already been fixed.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.