Bug 1026778 - device-mapper not using friendly name
device-mapper not using friendly name
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
Classification: Red Hat
Component: device-mapper-multipath (Show other bugs)
7.0
Unspecified Unspecified
medium Severity medium
: rc
: ---
Assigned To: LVM and device-mapper development team
Bruno Goncalves
: Regression
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2013-11-05 07:31 EST by Bruno Goncalves
Modified: 2014-06-09 07:04 EDT (History)
6 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2013-11-07 18:33:41 EST
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Bruno Goncalves 2013-11-05 07:31:40 EST
Description of problem:
"multipath -l" does not show friendly name, despite it is configured to show.

multipath.conf has
defaults {
    user_friendly_names     yes
}

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
device-mapper-multipath-0.4.9-58.el7.x86_64
3.10.0-40.el7.x86_64

How reproducible:
100%

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Display multipaths on a server that has iSCSI devices
multipath -l
360a98000572d5765636f6b64594a7331 dm-3 NETAPP  ,LUN             
size=10G features='4 queue_if_no_path pg_init_retries 50 retain_attached_hw_handle' hwhandler='0' wp=rw
`-+- policy='service-time 0' prio=0 status=active
  |- 2:0:0:1 sde 8:64 active undef running
  `- 3:0:0:1 sdc 8:32 active undef running


Expected results:
Friendly name mpath name show be shown
mpathX (360a98000572d5765636f6b64594a7331)

Additional info:
df
Filesystem                             1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/rhel_hp--bl280cg6--01-root  40192000 1673168  38518832   5% /
devtmpfs                                  945216       0    945216   0% /dev
tmpfs                                     952352       0    952352   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                                     952352    2392    949960   1% /run
tmpfs                                     952352       0    952352   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda1                                 494940  108304    386636  22% /boot
/dev/mapper/rhel_hp--bl280cg6--01-home  19597312   32944  19564368   1% /home


ls /dev/mapper/
360a98000572d5765636f69746f6a4f6a   360a98000572d5765636f69746f6a4f6a2  control                     rhel_hp--bl280cg6--01-root  vg_storageqe01-lv_root
360a98000572d5765636f69746f6a4f6a1  360a98000572d5765636f6b64594a7331   rhel_hp--bl280cg6--01-home  rhel_hp--bl280cg6--01-swap  vg_storageqe01-lv_swap
Comment 2 Bruno Goncalves 2013-11-05 07:57:33 EST
Setting Regression as it was working with device-mapper-multipath-0.4.9-51.el7.x86_64.

multipath -l 
mpatha (360a98000572d5765636f65646544784e) dm-3 NETAPP  ,LUN             
size=10G features='4 queue_if_no_path pg_init_retries 50 retain_attached_hw_handle' hwhandler='0' wp=rw
`-+- policy='service-time 0' prio=0 status=active
  |- 11:0:0:0 sdb 8:16 active undef running
  `- 10:0:0:0 sdd 8:48 active undef running
Comment 3 Bruno Goncalves 2013-11-05 08:04:55 EST
Problem seems to be with the update to -52 version.

rpm -q device-mapper-multipath
device-mapper-multipath-0.4.9-52.el7.x86_64

multipath -l
360a98000572d5765636f65646544784e dm-3 NETAPP  ,LUN             
size=10G features='4 queue_if_no_path pg_init_retries 50 retain_attached_hw_handle' hwhandler='0' wp=rw
`-+- policy='service-time 0' prio=0 status=active
  |- 18:0:0:0 sdc 8:32 active undef running
  `- 19:0:0:0 sdb 8:16 active undef running
Comment 5 Ben Marzinski 2013-11-07 18:22:01 EST
I'm going to need some more information here.  I'm not able to reproduce this at all.  I've tried using the device-mapper-multipath-0.4.9-52.el7.x86_64 package, as well as the latest code.  I've tried removing /etc/multipath/bindings and /etc/multipath/wwids.  I've creating the devices both through the daemon (both with the path devices already present at daemon start or with them added later) and by running multipath from the command line (both with the daemon running and without). I always get user_friendly_names

However device-mapper-multipath-0.4.9-52.el7 did add 0040-RH-bindings-fix.patch, which does effect user_friendly_names. So, even though I don't see an obvious cause in this patch, I totally can believe that there is an issue here.

Could I get a copy of your /etc/multipath.conf, /etc/multipath/wwids, and /etc/multipath/bindings.

Also, could I get the output of

# multipathd show config

Possibly an easier way would be to let me on a system where this is currently happening so I can check it out for myself.
Comment 6 Ben Marzinski 2013-11-07 18:33:41 EST
Oh. Doh! I didn't notice these were Netapp devices.  Netapp specifically disables user_friendly_names for netapp devices in their device configs.  I'm not sure of reasoning, but they really don't want user_friendly_names set up on netapp devices.  Possibly because of the annoying issue that those names aren't actually globally unique.  They are only unique to that node.  This was added in the fix to 799860, which did go into device-mapper-multipath-0.4.9-52.el7.

At any rate, if you want user_friendly_names on netapp devices, you need to add

devices {
        device {
                vendor "NETAPP"
                product "LUN"
                user_friendly_names yes
        }
}

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.