Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 103611
Graphical root password prompt displays "unknown exit code" error if cancelled
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:06:58 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030819
Description of problem:
If the user clicks "Cancel" when asked for the root password by the RHN applet,
the applet responds with "Unknown exit code".
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
(WS beta 2, Everything install, system fully up2date except for the
anaconda-product package, as of 20030902)
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Click on the white-exclamation-point-in-red-circle icon.
2. Click "Launch up2date..."
3. A dialog box appears asking for the root password.
4. Click Cancel. (Maybe the user does not know the root password for some reason.)
"Unknown exit code" error dialog appears.
I'm not 100% what I'm expecting. I suppose I'm expecting silence (the user
cancelled the operation after all). I'm certainly not expecting an "unknown"
error of any sort.
I'm not 100% sure that this is rhn-applet's fault and not, say, a problem in PAM
or something, but rhn-applet is my best guess.
Hum this pop-up is actually done by up2date. I could reproduce the steps
and get the "unknown exit code" pop-up, but that pop-up is raised by up2date.
For example killing the background up2date kills the pop-up.
Maybe the interface of the Gnome root password reading program changed,
Actually, we were both wrong. :) I'm not 100% absolutely sure that usermode is
the guilty party, but I'm 100% sure now that it's neither up2date nor
rhn-applet. I am 100% sure that either (a) consolehelper, in the usermode
package, is broken, or (b) something else is breaking consolehelper.
BTW, this is usermode-1.67-2.
BTW, I managed to do the following in my testing:
(a) I reproduced this bug with redhat-config-xfree86
(b) I moved /usr/sbin/up2date to /usr/sbin/up2date.real (to get it out of the
way), copied /bin/true to /usr/sbin/up2date, then reproduced the bug with
I'm going to "Reassign bug to owner and QA contact of selected component" since
I've now selected usermode and not up2date. I hope that's the right thing to do...
I guess this bug is a dupe of 75834. However, as far as I can tell, it's only
been fixed in Rawhide and not in the RHEL beta channel on RHN yet. For that
reason I'm hesitant to resolve this bug as a dupe at this time, but if anyone
thinks I should go ahead with that anyway, please let me know.
usermode 1.68-5 from the RHEL 3 final release (compiled from SRPM from
ftp.redhat.com) fixes this problem -- I've verified that