Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1039023
RFE: keep track of administratively stopped services and avoid autostarting them
Last modified: 2013-12-06 07:46:38 EST
Description of problem:
I refer to bug 909134 - if the administrator stops a service, it may happen that it gets started via socket activation. This is undesired in many cases and breaks backwards compatibility of the service command. Manually stopped service should stay stopped until it gets manually started again (while "manually" means also as a dependency of another manually started service, or by explicit runlevel/target switch, which includes also reboot - masking the service instead of stopping it isn't an option here).
*** Bug 815243 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
There are multiple reasons why I don't want to do this.
1) it would brake behavior of systemctl
2) service did not support socket activation in previous releases (xinetd), so current behavior is actually an improvement
3) service command never guaranteed that the service will be stopped forever, it could be started again by some other daemon even in the older releases
4) use mask --runtime which is specifically designed for this purpose
5) there is a warning that service could be started again
Development Management has reviewed and declined this request.
You may appeal this decision by reopening this request.