Bug 104019 - The Time Zone tab doesn't shows correct characters
The Time Zone tab doesn't shows correct characters
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: redhat-config-date (Show other bugs)
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Brent Fox
: FutureFeature
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2003-09-08 21:11 EDT by Andre Moraes
Modified: 2013-01-10 16:40 EST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Enhancement
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2003-09-11 19:20:21 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)
I'm able to reproduce the problem as well (146.31 KB, image/png)
2003-09-10 14:55 EDT, Brent Fox
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Andre Moraes 2003-09-08 21:11:44 EDT
Description: The Time Zone tab doesn't shows correct characters when using pt_BR
as the system default language.

How reproducible: It's to reproduce anytime, following the step described below.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Change the system default language to Portuguese Brazil
2. Edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n to LANG="pt_BR" instead of "pt_BR.UTF-8" (needed to
solve problems with man and to access created with special chars, specially
windows fat32 files);
3. Open redhat-config-date and look at Time Zone tab.
Actual results:
Some garbage where accents and other special chars where expect

Expected results:
Names like América showing properly.
Comment 1 Brent Fox 2003-09-09 15:51:02 EDT
Can you attach a screenshot that shows what you are seeing?
Comment 2 Brent Fox 2003-09-10 14:55:47 EDT
Created attachment 94380 [details]
I'm able to reproduce the problem as well
Comment 3 Brent Fox 2003-09-10 14:58:20 EDT
I'm a little confused.  The 'file' command says that the pt_BR.po file is UTF-8,
yet it appears that the encoding is not truly UTF-8 if we're seeing these weird
characters in the display.  pt_PT seems to be ok, but pt_BR is messed up.

pgampe, can you have the translation team look at this?
Comment 4 Paul Gampe 2003-09-10 19:43:14 EDT
Hi Brent, I went through the .po files today and in the timezones directory was a mix of various 
encodings.  I have converted them all to UTF-8, and added a target to the Makefile should you 
need to do this in the future.   
pt_BR was in ISO-8859-1 but is now in UTF-8 
Checking in pt_BR.po; 
/usr/local/CVS/redhat-config-date/po/timezones/pt_BR.po,v  <--  pt_BR.po 
new revision: 1.3; previous revision: 1.2 
Comment 5 Andre Moraes 2003-09-10 21:13:27 EDT
Hi Brent, Paul,

I've detected the same weird characteres with GTali, on RH 9 
In another machine, I'm using severn (in fact, it's the same machine with
another set of hard disks :)) and this bug is solved in GTali, but appears in

Comment 6 Brent Fox 2003-09-11 12:04:23 EDT
Hi Paul.  Well, I've built a new version with the updated files but the problem
still exists.

When I run 'file' on po/pt_BR.po and po/timezones/pt_BR.po, here's what I see:

[bfox@bfox po]$ file pt_BR.po
pt_BR.po: UTF-8 Unicode English text
[bfox@bfox po]$ file timezones/pt_BR.po
timezones/pt_BR.po: UTF-8 Unicode English text

So, both appear to be UTF-8 encoded, which is good.  Then I run 'make' in the po
directory and it generates pt_BR.mo, which contains the translations for both
files.  However, when I run 'msgunfmt pt_BR.mo | less', I can see weird
characters that clearly aren't UTF-8.  Any idea what's happening?

For example (I hope mozilla doesn't mangle these cut-and-pasted strings):

msgid "Africa/Banjul"
msgstr "África/Banjul"

msgid "America/Antigua"
msgstr "América/Antígua"

msgid "Asia/Aden"
msgstr "Ásia/Áden"

msgid "Australia/Queensland"
msgstr "Austrália/Queensland"
Comment 7 Paul Gampe 2003-09-11 19:10:47 EDT
Good catch Brent, sorry I should have checked that.   
Looks like the file was originally in utf-8 but labeled as ISO-8859-1.  So I had done a double 
encoding conversion.   I have gone through and fixed the header and encoding and run the test 
you described above.  All looks good to me now. 
Comment 8 Brent Fox 2003-09-11 19:20:21 EDT
Thanks for your help.  redhat-config-date-1.5.21-1 should contain the corrected
translations.  Resolving as Rawhide.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.