Description of problem:
xterm does not display EUCJP encoding
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
(not sure if this is an issue in xterm, glibc or something else)
Steps to Reproduce:
1. # verify eucjp and utf8 locales exist
locale -a|grep ja_JP
2. # ensure this is a terminal capable of displaying the chars we request later
LC_ALL="ja_JP.utf8" echo 日本語
3. LC_ALL="ja_JP.eucjp" luit
2013G/ 127n 24F| 2PMKF| 17:49:59 CET
2013年 12月 24日 火曜日 17:49:04 CET
- the above works on debian stable
- I tried to verify on RHEL7beta, but we do not ship luit there.
- tried this in "xterm -en eucjp" terminal, as well as gnome-terminal
- in the eucjp output, the high bits seem stripped off by something
- setting "stty raw" does not lead to the expected output
- also creating a utf8 textfile, converting to eucjp with "iconv" and outputting this gives same result
- the output of "date +%A| xxd|md5sum" in a "LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucjp luit" environment is identical on the debian and the fedora system
To me it looks like a problem in luit. With xorg-x11-apps-7.7-6.fc19 and in a UTF-8 terminal (I tried it with xterm and urxvt) I get:
$ LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP luit date
2014G/ 17n 7F| 2PMKF| 12:02:33 CET
$ LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP date | iconv -f eucjp -t utf8
2014年 1月 7日 火曜日 12:02:33 CET
Same issue on RHEL7: bz1093788.
This works for me in Fedora when using rawhide, using gnome-terminal (I seem to be missing a font to get it to work in xterm). Can you please re-test on Fedora 20 ?
The steps from #0 and #1 still fail on current Fedora20 for me. Let me setup a raw in a VM and retest..
Hm.. fails for me still on rawhide, attaching screenshot.
Created attachment 918184 [details]
rawhide from 2014/07/15 screenshot
Created attachment 918190 [details]
Screenshot with proof of the pudding
Works for me, see my screenshot :)
Tested on 2 different rawhide installs.
Can you do (in a terminal): "printenv | grep LC" and paste the output here?
[root@localhost chris]# LC_ALL="ja_JP.utf8" echo 日本語
[root@localhost chris]# LC_ALL="ja_JP.utf8" date
2014年 7月 16日 水曜日 04:24:22 EDT
[root@localhost chris]# LC_ALL="ja_JP.eucjp" luit
[root@localhost chris]# date
2014G/ 77n 16F| ?eMKF| 04:24:27 EDT
[root@localhost chris]# printenv | grep LC
Same for xterm, and an access via VNC vs. x-forwarded terminal (but the latter 2 variants I expected to be similiar anyway)
I deployed a Fedora in this VM and then upgraded via yum to rawhide.
Well, if you see the issue on RHEL7 as I do and see it fixed in rawhide, we could also just asume a mistake here on my setup and these 2 states could help you to see more on the difference between working/nonworking.
Ok, I've managed to reproduce and fix this using a somewhat minimal F-20 install. To fix this do the following (both as root):
yum install xorg-x11-fonts-misc
ln -s ../X11/fonts /usr/share/fonts/X11
I'll add the symlink to the xorg-x11-fonts-misc package, and a requires to xorg-x11-apps for xorg-x11-fonts-misc, I plan to only do this for rawhide / F-21 though, as I do not consider this bug important enough to roll out updates for existing Fedora releases.
Fixed for F-21+, note I've ended up adding the symlink to xorg-x11-font-utils, as that seems to be the xorg fonts equivalent of fontpackages-filesystem.
Note adding the /usr/share/fonts/X11 symlink to xorg-x11-font-util turns out to be a bad idea as that causes all the old X fonts to be part of the default font search path, which is not what we want.
So instead we need to fix luit, or actually libfontenc to search for the encoding files in the proper place. I'm preparing a patch for that now.
libfontenc-1.1.2-3.fc21,xorg-x11-font-utils-7.5-23.fc21 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 21.
Package libfontenc-1.1.2-3.fc21, xorg-x11-font-utils-7.5-23.fc21:
* should fix your issue,
* was pushed to the Fedora 21 testing repository,
* should be available at your local mirror within two days.
Update it with:
# su -c 'yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing libfontenc-1.1.2-3.fc21 xorg-x11-font-utils-7.5-23.fc21'
as soon as you are able to.
Please go to the following url:
then log in and leave karma (feedback).
libfontenc-1.1.2-3.fc21, xorg-x11-font-utils-7.5-23.fc21 has been pushed to the Fedora 21 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.