Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 10763
rpm-3.0.4-5x breaks all rebuilt RPM's.
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:37:55 EDT
I'm using a heavily upgraded Redhat 5.1 system, and decided to try
upgrading RPM so that a few other RPM's could be built due to new specfile
I installed rpm-3.0.4-5x.i386.rpm. After that, every srpm I built, got
broken in a mysterious way. There were no error messages at compile time,
but when I tried installing these packages I got always the same error
###########################################unpacking of archive failed on
file /usr/doc/e2fsprogs-1.18/RELEASE-NOTES: cpio: read failed - No such
file or directory
always 'cpio: read failed'.
After backtracking to rpm-3.0.2 binary and rebuilding these srpm's, they
Seems like a very serious problem.
PS, Only afterwards I noticed that there are packages rpm-devel and
rpm-build on ftp.rpm.org. Especially rpm-build's contents looked
interesting. I don't know if installing this too would have helped, but it
wasn't Required by the main rpm package.
Installing either rpm-devel or rpm-build didn't help. One other user wrote
about the same thing on the RPM mailing-list on 2000/03/30.
Also, rebuilding rpm from rpm-3.0.4-5x.src.rpm and installing it from there
before this won't help.
On a heavily upgraded RH5.2 I have tried:
rpm -i PKG.src.rpm
rpm -ba SPECS/PKG.spec
rpm --rebuild SRPMS/PKG.src.rpm
(PKG = rsync-2.2.1-1.src.rpm, rpm-3.0.4-x.src.rpm)
With rpm-3.0.2-4.x everything works.
With rpm(-build)-3.0.4-x the rebuild fails with:
unpacking of archive failed ... : cpio: read failed
One major thing that is _not_ upgraded is libc (still glibc-2.0.7-29).
Forgot to mention:
When -ba'ing with rpm-3.0.4 the resulting .src.rpm is significantly smaller than
the original src.rpm.
Original SRPM and the smaller SRPM can be found here:
If you try rebuilding the smaller SRPM with rpm-3.0.2 it fails with the same
error (cpio: read failed). From this I reason that the error is in the generated
.src.rpm file, and since rpm-3.0.4 generated the .src.rpm file the error is
probably in the SRPM generation routines in rpm-3.0.4.
I confirm, and can re-create this fault at will.
Parts of the unpack are occuring -- that is some binaries are being installed
--- but celarly post-install scripts are not happening. Some updating of
RPM database is ocurring.
The same symptoms (RedHat 5.1 plus way-too-many-updates). It should be also
noted that cpio archive extracted from the rebuilt rpm with rpm2cpio is
invalid - at least according to my cpio-2.4.2-7.
This explains all the symptoms above: The cpio archive created by rpm 3.0.4-5.x
This is now fixed in (soon to be released) rpm-3.0.5-7.5x.. Turns out that
libio FILE pointers doesn't do the right thing at all in older glibc versions.
Meanwhile, adding --nolibio when invoking rpm-3.0.4 should also provide a