Description of problem:
When booting a diskless workstation via PXE (DHCP/TFTP), I specify as kernel boot parameters :
netroot=nbd:192.168.xx.yy:2000:ext3 root=UUID=zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ip=dhcp
It always boots OK.
But at shutdown :
[ok] Reached target Unmount all filesystems
[ok] Stopped monitoring of LVM2 [...]
Stopping LVM2 metadata daemon ...
[ok] Stopped LVM2 metadata daemon
[ok] starting restore /run/initramfs
[ok] reached target shutdown
[kernel.time] block nbd0: receive control failed (result -4)
[kernel.time] block nbd0: attempted send on closed socket
[kernel.time] end_request: I/O error, dev nbd0, sector 6680
[kernel.time] ---------[ cut here ] -------
[kernel.time] kernel bug at fs/buffer.c:3015!
[kernel.time] invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] SMP
[... kernel trace ...]
[kernel.time] ---------[ end trace ] --------
[kernel.time] kernel panic - not syncing: attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x0000000b
The nbd-client seems to be killed BEFORE trying to umount rootfs.
The nbd maintainer has updated nbd package so nbd-client can mark itself in systemd as launched by initrd ("-m" cmdline parameter).
BUT dracut does not seem to make use of -m, nor any systemd script.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. install Fedora on a mounted nbd target (ext3 formatted in my case)
2. chroot in the newly-installed system and: yum install dracut-network nbd
3. put the rootfs (nbd) UUID in /etc/fstab
4. dracut --kver 3.12.8-300.fc20.i686+PAE -f /boot/initramfs-3.12.8-300.fc20.i686+PAE.img
5. prepare another machine to serve tftp and dhcp to be able to PXE boot
6. prepare the pxe menu (as described obove) on this other machine
7. boot the computer via PXE, it should find its NBD root device and mount it
8. login as root, then type poweroff
9. I issued "yum updates" several times since the initial installation to keep the system up to date.
The system crashes when nbd-client seems to be killed too early, thus making rootfs unavailable before umounting it.
The system should keep nbd-client alive until rootfs gets umounted, as it's launched by initramfs.
It used to work very well in Fedora 18, then I upgraded to Fedora20 and it crashes everytime now.
I made a bug report here, initialy for kernel maintainers :
But someone reassigned it to systemd, then systemd people reassigned to nbd.
I believe it is NOT a nbd issue anymore, as it has been fixed for nbd.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 1098499 ***