Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 108695
up2date TypeError: iteration over non-sequence
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:59:00 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624
Description of problem:
up2date <package> or up2date -u fails with the following traceback:
# up2date -u
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 993, in ?
File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 720, in main
File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 893, in batchRun
File "up2dateBatch.py", line 57, in run
File "up2dateBatch.py", line 88, in __findPackagesToUpdate
File "packageList.py", line 88, in run
File "packageList.py", line 116, in addObsoletePackages
TypeError: iteration over non-sequence
This probably has to do with an oops on our RHN subscription,
where this system was stripped of its entitlements without
expiration or warning. The system is now fully entitled, but
up2date is broken.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.run up2date <package> or -u
3.Profi^W err... traceback message appears.
Actual Results: See traceback message above.
Expected Results: up2date working?
rm -rf /var/spool/up2date/*
and try again.
OK through the help of a friend I was able to fix the problem
although I do not know what caused it in the first place. Here are
the steps that worked for me although there may be a shorter way to
1. Execute the command rm -rf /var/spool/up2date/* (Note: the command
the RH tech gave me earlier was rm -rf /var/spool/up2date which
forces you to recreate the up2date directory otherwise up2date errors
with out it.)
2. delete the systemid file: rm /etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid
3. delete the system from the RedHat Network
4. run up2date again which will re-register the system.
I managed to get going again by just executing
rhn_register, which complained that I seemed to already
be registered, but continuing with the process
fixed the up2date problem as well. I'm sorry, Adrian,
I missed your message about clearing out the up2date
registry - we've moved mailservers (to the machine that
was having the up2date problem!) and a few messages
fell between the cracks. Thanks for your help.
The root of this is a system not being assigned
a package channel. Most often, this indicates a
lack of RHN entitlements for that channel.
Fix is to verify the server has a channel to
it assigned via the website (or that there
are enough entitlements available for that
In addition, current clients handle this case