Description of problem:
RH kernels 2.4.20-20.9smp and 2.4.20-19.9smp crash (kernel trace) on
my Dell PE2650 after 1-3 hours while doing havy disk io.
RH kernel 2.4.20-8smp and 2.4.20-18.9smp do not have this problem!
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Redhat-9.0 + glibc-2.3.2-27.9
After testing for more than 10 days, I confirm 100% reproducibility.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. while 1; do dd if=/dev/zero of=big10 bs=1M count=10; done
2. wait ~1-3 hours
kernel trace on console, but no log file entry!
- The PE2650 has 2 x 2.4 GHz Xeon
- Hyperthreading on/off does not influence the mentioned effect.
- Booting with 'noapic' still crashes system
- Using latest bcm5700 instead of tg3 makes not difference
- Doing disk io on local disk (PERC) or external FC disk makes no
Thanks for the bug report. However, Red Hat no longer maintains this version of
the product. Please upgrade to the latest version and open a new bug if the problem
The Fedora Legacy project (http://fedoralegacy.org/) maintains some older releases,
and if you believe this bug is interesting to them, please report the problem in
the bug tracker at: http://bugzilla.fedora.us/