Bug 110041 - Installing yesterday's Red Hat Network updates causes Gnome (and other programs) to fail
Installing yesterday's Red Hat Network updates causes Gnome (and other progra...
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: glibc (Show other bugs)
9
i686 Linux
high Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Jakub Jelinek
Brian Brock
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2003-11-14 07:47 EST by Gerry Wisnoski
Modified: 2016-11-24 10:26 EST (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: 2.3.2-27.9.7
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2003-11-18 02:33:34 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Gerry Wisnoski 2003-11-14 07:47:33 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1)
Gecko/20030225

Description of problem:
Yesterday I ran up2date to install the 21 updates notes by the Red Hat
Network Alert Icon (mostly glibc and postgresql components).  After
these updates installed (with no problems), lots of things stopped
working, notably my Gnome desktop.  I was able to login using KDE
though and with some web searches, found that I could get some
programs to work by prefixing the command with "LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 ".

In particular, rpm now fails to work properly and I can't get up2date
to work at all.

I have updated rpm to the latest available version (rpm-4.2-0.69) but
I'm still having no luck running most programs unless I manually
prefix the command with "LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 " -- this means that
many icons and menu items do not work.  I can't get Gnome to work at all.



Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
up2date-3.1.23.2-1

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Apply yesterday's Red Hat Network updates
2. logout and try to login using Gnome
3. When that fails, login using KDE and try to run mozilla, evolution,
rpm, up2date, etc.
    

Actual Results:  1. Gnome login fails with a warning that the session
lasted less than 10 seconds and a suggestion to try a failsafe login
2. KDE login works
3. Many programs fail to run

Expected Results:  1. Normal login and running of the usual programs I
run every day

Additional info:


Here are some diagnostics:
------------------------------------------------------------------
toucan:root:root:705 # rpm -q up2date
rpmdb: unable to join the environment
error: db4 error(11) from dbenv->open: Resource temporarily unavailable
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Resource temporarily
unavailable (11)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
package up2date is not installed
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
toucan:root:root:706 # LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 rpm -q up2date
up2date-3.1.23.2-1
------------------------------------------------------------------
I was able to run "LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 rpm --rebuilddb" though.
Comment 1 David Balch 2003-11-17 15:59:23 EST
Hi,

I'm not sure if these comments are relevant here or should go in a
separate bug...

The glibc 2.3.2-27.9.6 update the other day did not play well with my
NVIDIA FX5600, using the latest driver (1.0-4496), crashing when
loading X - where the NVIDIA logo should be displayed. I got X working
agian by reverting glibc to 2.3.2-11.9.

Looking at XFree86.0.log, it got as far as:

(II) Loading extension GLX

...then just stopped.

I was able to reboot (ctrl-alt-del seting runlevel to 6) and in
runlevel 3, revert glibc to the earlier version, after which ithings
were back to normal.

I don't know if this is a bug in glibc or one in the NVIDIA driver,
and I've already posted in the NVIDIA forums about it. It's possible
that it's related to
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=219352


My system is Redhat 9 with Athlon and a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 / 128MB
DDR / 8x AGP / DVI card.

$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.4.21-1.ll.acpi #1 Sat Jun 14 13:06:47
PDT 2003 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
Comment 2 Gerry Wisnoski 2003-11-17 16:17:23 EST
The problem turned out to be the glibc-2.3.2-27.9.6 update on RHN last
Thursday.  The "...27.9.7" replacement showed up on RHN Friday and
updating to that version fixed everything.  

Thanks to Dr. Lincoln Durey at EmperorLinux for the info and fix
instructions.
Comment 3 David Balch 2003-11-17 17:52:16 EST
Confirming that glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7 works ok for me - Just installed it
and restarted X with no problems. Thanks.
Comment 4 Ulrich Drepper 2003-11-18 02:33:34 EST
OK, so everybody is fine then.  I close the bug.
Comment 5 Dmitri Pogosyan 2003-11-23 03:06:47 EST
Not really, I have upgraded from original 2.3.2-11.9
to 2.3.2-27.9.7 and some third party applications
started to segfault. Had to revert back.
Has not noticed problems with RedHat applications, however. 

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.