On my NEC Versa SX, inserting the APA-1460A PCMCIA SCSI card
causes RH6.2 to lock up hard. This did not happen on my
RH6.1 system with my own build of 2.2.14 + fresh PCMCIA package
(not the Red Hat version of either) ( hadn't compiled the correct
module, so the PCMCIA package balked without hanging).
- the lockup is pretty hard: mouse isn't tracked, pings are not
responded to, keys are ignored (including CTRL-ALT-DEL).
- I've tried renaming the module
to prevent it being loaded, but the crash still happens
- I've tried the original kernel package, and the errata one:
- I've tried a serial console, hoping something would come out
in the dying gasp -- nothing (but "debug" does not seem to
direct every message to the console; I wonder why)
- my PCMCIA network card work fine (until the lockup) and the
observations of the effect of the SCSI card are not changed
by having the NIC installed or not.
Other Bugzilla reports suggest that the RH6.2 PCMCIA support
is out of date. To bad one suggests that updating within
the RH6.2 kernel isn't easy.
The RH 6.9.5 tree should resolve this (PCMCIA 3.1.18)