Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 110934
OpenOffice Writer locks up when pasting image
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:34 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.1; Linux)
Description of problem:
When copying an image from Epiphany, and then pasting it into Writer, Writer becomes unresponsive. The program no longer updates its window, and I cannot close it. It has to be killed manually.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.'Edit --> copy' image in Epiphany
2.'Edit --> paste' in OO Writer
Actual Results: OO Writer is unresponsitve.
Expected Results: Image pasted & displayed in document.
Oddly enough, this operation works just fine with the same version of OOo under SuSE 8.2.
Can you post a URL that includes a picture with this problem? I
cannot reproduce with relatively small images (ie PNG images under 100k).
Have you queried the OpenOffice bug list? You can do so here:
What version of OO are you using?
After a few searches of the OO bug database on my own, I didn't see
anything offhand that directly relates to this problem. I did learn
that Epiphany in this case is a browser (there are other software
packages released under the name "Epiphany" elsewhere in the business
Do you happen to know if the image itself is pasted to the file or a
link to the image? I tried this at work (where I don't have Linux or
Epiphay, unfortunately, will try again from home). When I highlight an
image in Mozilla Firebird, Edit-Copy, go to a Writer doc and
Edit-Paste, it pastes a *link* to the image I copied.
Within Epiphany, save the image to disk. Try copying the image from
disk and pasting in the Writer document. Does this also cause it to
If pasting the image from disk does *not* cause OO to freeze, I'd be
tempted to say your problem is related to this bug in OO:
A relevant comment:
"OOo is very busy resolving the links to some graphics files."
Can you provide a link to the graphic you were trying to paste into
I can reproduce a crash with an image paste from epiphany and writer,
I'll look into it.
Created attachment 106244 [details]
patch to fix this problem
Well that's an odd one, tracked it down to one file but problem went away when
I compiled with debugging symbols, and back when without. Looking at the
makefile.mk I see that under solaris intel this file gets compiled without
optimization to solve the same problem as I see. Patch attached to do that for
all platforms solves this bizarrity for us as well. 1.9.X series doesn't show
caolanm->dcbw: patch fixes problem for me anyway. Back to you for
consideration for inclusion.
Cut and paste of google logo from epiphany to writer in 1.1.2-11
(FC2/FC3 updates) work for me now problem free.