Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 111224
Java does not work with Mozilla 1.4.1
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:34 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; de-AT; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030630
Description of problem:
The java plugin (the one from the ns610-gcc32 subdir) crashes mozilla.
This might happen at once or after a while, but I have yet to get any
web page with a java applet included to work.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Visit the above site
Actual Results: Mozilla crashes at once or after logging in.
Expected Results: The applet should let one log in and perform home
I updated my RedHat 8 distribution to Fedora Core 1.
Where did you get this JVM? You need to make sure that you have the
right version and that you're loading the right VM. Also, if it's a
crash in the VM itself, odds are we can't do anything about it.
I got the VM from java.sun.com. java -version gives:
java version "1.4.2_02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_02-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_02-b03, mixed mode)
I'm using a symlink from
This should be the right version, AFAIK
Are there any errors on the console? I'm wondering if the plugin is
aborting or if it's actually crashing. If you run mozilla from the
command line and echo $? after it exits, an 11 means it segfaulted.
There are no errors on the console. The exit status of mozilla after a
crash is 255.
mozilla crashes after veiwing web page with java in fedora core
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1. Visit the above site
and ai stalker wrote:
> mozilla crashes after veiwing web page with java in fedora core
Which sites are you talking about? The URL's are not listed here (or I
don't see them).
No such problems here with:
Fedora Core 1
I need a repeatable url.
One example (as mentioned in the "Additional Bug Information" below)
You could also try http://www.kmelektronik.de/ selecting "Normale
Version" (which loads a java based online shop).
Most applets linked by http://java.sun.com/applets do crash also.
I totally can't reproduce your problems and I am tempted to close this
NOTABUG, but maybe we can find the actual cause of this problem if you
answer these questions and try what I suggest.
1) You are running the default mozilla-1.4.1 that came with FC1 with
Sun's JRE ns610-gcc32 plugin on a i386 or i586 kernel? (just a hunch)
2) Try upgrading to mozilla-1.6-0 from rawhide. Does that work any
ad 1) Yes - it's running on an athlon kernel, though.
ad 2) Have tried mozilla-1.6. Doesn't help.
I noted the jdk version from the "about:plugins" is 1.4.2_02-b03.
Does the "b03" stand for beta?
Java version 1.4.2_03-b02 doesn't work either...
Have you looked the instructions here: http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/#Java
Out of curiosity, could you do an "ls -l" in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins ?
Java works on my systems, one smp athlon box, one uni athlon box.
>rpm -q j2re
java version "1.4.2_03"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_03-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_03-b02, mixed mode)
>rpm -q mozilla
Following the fedora.artoo.net Faq on how to setup the symlink.
And I have no problems with java applets. I shoot pool at
games.yahoo.com all the time now. And the posted shopping cart site in
comment 8 worksforme.
I'm closing this as NOTABUG. Many people in the #fedora irc channel
have problems with correctly configuring java. It comes up a lot, and
so far its always come back to user or configuration error.
ls -ltr /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ (which is symlink to the mozilla
specific dir) gives:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18756 16. Jan 04:03 libnullplugin.so
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 131580 29. Jan 11:20 rpnp.so
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4139 29. Jan 11:20 raclass.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 129611 29. Jan 11:20 nppdf.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1464736 29. Jan 11:20 libflashplayer.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 856 29. Jan 11:20 flashplayer.xpt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 30. Jan 14:47 nphelix.so ->
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 30. Jan 14:47 nphelix.xpt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 72 30. Jan 14:55
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins being a symlink to
/usr/lib/mozilla-X.X/plugins directory has been broken for me in the
past. Try removing the directory symlink and instead symlink the .so
files directly. That is what I do, and it works for me on all systems.