From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.1)
Description of problem:
I have installed Fedora Core 1 on my laptop (a Medion MD 7438, athlon
2200+, RAM 512MB, Nvidea GeForce 4) which has a french keyboard.
I noticed a very strange bug:
1) If I choose to work with the shell /bin/bash, all the keyboard is
well defined and recognized
The file /etc/sysconfig/keyboard is as follows:
2) If I choose to work with the shell /bin/tcsh or /bin/csh, the
keyboard is well recognized apart from the "6,-,|" key.
Normally on this key, - is accessed straightforwardly, 6 is
accessed through SHIFT and | is accessed through ALT-GR.
What happens here is that 6 is now accessed straightforwardly, but
I loose the access to - and |, which is very annoying...
Strangely enough, if once on the terminal I go to the menu SYSTEM
SETTINGS of the panel, and I choose again (in the grafical way) the
keyboard fr(pc), or even the keyboard fr, the key "6,-,|" is again
I have tried to modify my /etc/X11/XF86config, but this doesn't change
anything given that the keyboard is well configured there.
I think this might be a bug.
I have been looking for some help on the web concerning this, but
didn't find any information.
If someone understands that and can help me...
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Make sure you are using /bin/tcsh or /bin/csh shell on a laptop with
2. Open a terminal (or an xterm, it is the same) and type "-" (key
"-,6,|" in the french keyboard). You should see a "6" appear on the
screen instead of the "-"
3. Go to the menu SYSTEM SETTINGS / KEYBOARD and select the keyboard
you want, i.e. "fr (pc)" (or even "fr").
4. Going back to the terminal, type again "-". Now "-" should actually
appear on the screen
5. Now change your shell (chsh /bin/tsch --> /bin/bash) and make sure
you are now using bash shell (logout and login again if necessary)
6. Open a terminal (you should be in a bash shell now) and type "-".
You should actually see "-" appear on the screen.
key "-,6,|" not working when using shells /bin/tcsh or /bin/csh with a
french keyboard on a laptop : "6" appears instead of "-" when actually
This key should work (has it actually does when using bash shell) and
print "-" whne you type "-"!!!
Here is a copy of the lines related to keyboard configuration in my
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
I can't reproduce this.
* The output of (setxkbmap -print) right after logging in using bash
and using tcsh
* The output of (setxkbmap -print) after changing the keyboard layout
* The output of (bindkey) in tcsh right after logging in.
Please reopen this report if you can reproduce the problem on a recent release
and you can provide the requested data.