[The following is a summary of discussion between ggainey and awood about the problems surrounding migration of Sat5 clients to a new Sat6 instance]
Description of problem:
Part of moving customer-data from their existing Satellite-5 instance to their shiny-new-Satellite-6 instance involves moving their System profiles to Content Hosts.
We would like to be able to accomplish a workflow something like the following:
* Export Sat5 system-profiles
* Import said profiles and create Sat6 content-hosts
* Generate a CSV file during this process containing the following data:
Sat5SID ; Sat6ConsumerId ; Sat6ActivationKey
* Have rhn-migrate-classic-to-rhsm be able to take advantage of said CSV, in order to attach a client to its related content-host on Sat6
Issues to be resolved around this:
* migrate-classic doesn't understand cloned channels.
channels.software.getDetails(channelLabel) has a field, 'clone_original', which has the label of "the channel this channel was cloned FROM". For the migrate-classic chan-to-PEM mapping to work, the tool would have to be taught to follow that back until clone_orginal is empty (which would be the originating Red Hat channel) and *then* map.
* migrate-classic would need some way to be pointed at the created-CSV mentioned above, and find the entry for its own machine therein
* migrate-classic doesn't currently understand --consumerid or --activationkey
* The created-CSV would need to be placed into some location migrate-classic could pull it from, on the Sat6 system it is going to re-register to.
* Alternately (or perhaps in addition to the above), migrate-classic would need to be able to accept a pointer to said CSV as a local file.
This work would need to be available on RHEL5 and RHEL6 via errata released on or before the GA date of Sat6, in order to facilitate early-adopters' migration process.
moving to rhel7, since it will be carried in a sat channel until then
This feature request was not implemented and delivered to QE by the rhel-7.1.0 Dev Freeze date of 10/27/2014. Deferring for consideration in next release.
Hi Grant has this been addressed by migration data since this was filed?
We ended up writing sat5to6 to get the 6.0 transition issue resolved. That is only available to sat5 users, iirc.
I believe Alex has been working on updates to rhn-migrate-to-rhsm that address some of what's in this BZ. Alex?
Yes, bug 1086367, bug 1180273, and bug 1196416 should all handle various migration related enhancements.
Closing this as DUPLICATE of 1196416 even though this bug is actually a duplicate of several different bugs.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 1196416 ***