Closing EOL for the following reasons :
- RHS 2.1 is long past EOL
- several memory leaks were patched in recent RHGS, which might have been the reason for this allocation failure.
- 2 of the Red Hat Support tickets linked to it are closed (after upgrading to a newer release and/or kernel tunings)
- From the description, it might be a bug in the tg3 driver : https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1029192 (fixed in kernel-2.6.32-479.el6)
- as agreed with Vimal with the 3rd ticket : if similar issue is seen on 3.1.1, a new BZ will be created.
- Potential workaround include kernel update (some rhel6 early drivers were known to cause memory fragmentation, e.g. BZs 1018715, 1029192) & memory tuning (e.g. : vm.dirty_ratio and/or vm.dirty_background_ratio, etc. ) to prevent memory fragmentation & bigger chucks of memory allocation to fail.
-> If the issue occurs again in 3.1.1, with a recent kernel, open a new BZ