Description of problem:
Need an article on how to use PCI Passthrough and SR-IOV
First draft has been completed.
I have a few comments:
1. The topology supported is Network node on one node and compute nodes on other nodes
2. There is a limitation for now for using both OVS and SR-IOV on the same machine on the same network
3. I suggest adding an example how to use the SR-IOV (i.e. Using a port and then launching an instance with this port attached)
4. Using vnic_type=macvtap doesn't work for now
5. Section 1. - sriovnicswitch doesn't handle DHCP so openvswitch is a requirement when using the sriovnicswitch (or other MD which supports VLAN)
6. sriovnicswitch supports only VLAN
7. Section 2. - Usually /etc/neutron/plugin.ini is pointing to /etc/neutron
Maybe it'll be good to point to the startup script
8. After changing the Neutron configuration files Neutron server should be restarted
9. I suggest using Different sections for Neutron server , Neutron Agent (Optional) ,Nova configuration etc.
10. Section 3. Need some examples:
a. An example for using PF in pci_whitelist
b. Example with more than one physical network
c. Example with sepcifying a subset of VFs (There is no regular expression or exclude option )
I would also like Brent to review this, we were discussing the other day and it seems there may also be some other configuration paths not covered on the upstream wiki that we need to document.
Will the document cover how to activate Virtual Functions in the network driver?
Thanks for the feedback. I've added Virtual Functions to the article's todo list.
*** Bug 1051259 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***