Description of problem:
When using the 'repquota' tool, kernel may sometime panic. Also, the repquota
output (when kernel does not panic) displays USER ID's instead of USER NAMES.
edquota does show right quota information!
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
quota package version is : quota-3.09-1.21
kernel is : 2.4.9-e.35smp
turn quotas off (quotaoff fsname)
check quota (quotacheck -v fsname)
turn quota on (quotaon fsname)
Steps to Reproduce:
1. turn quotas off (quotaoff fsname)
2. check quota (quotacheck -v fsname)
3. turn quota on (quotaon fsname)
4. repquota fsname
when repquota does work, only userid's are shown where usernames should be.
kernel panics sometimes when repquota runs
usernames instead of userids
no kernel panic
I am using nss-ldap for user database, ldap is running on a seperate server.
this server also is an nfs server
the filesystems are on a CLARIION storage array, using a Qlogic adapter for
Created attachment 96843 [details]
output of kernel panic from /var/log/messages
Created attachment 96844 [details]
The /etc/fstab file from the server
Created attachment 96857 [details]
Latest kernel panic - output from /var/log/messages - see first line about 'remove_free_dquot'
Latest kernel panic - output from /var/log/messages - see first line about
Created attachment 101676 [details]
patch to fix quota locking errors
For RHEL2.1. This is a backport of a fix which is in the 2.4 kernel. Since
running this patch we have had no more quota related crashes. It may still
have bugs though...
thanks for the info - does this mean that if I'm running
2.4.9-e.40 or later I don't need the patch?
The patch is from BK cset 1.133 which became part of the 2.4.15
kernel. If you are running 2.4.9 then you need the patch. You can
view the cset here:
There are also some fixes for ext3 & quota which should be backported
to the RH kernel but that does not seem to be causing us problems ATM.
Created attachment 109599 [details]
We also seem to have this or a related problem. We get infrequent kernel
panics, but they do not seem to be related to running repquota). Excerpt
from syslog is attached.
Peter, if you have quotas enabled then you can get the in memory
corruption. This does not always seem to cause the segfaults (see
also bugs #53591 and #98837) in the userland tools. Sometimes you get
just a truncated list of quotas and other times it might work. My
patch from comment #4 solved all the problems at our site. This patch
is still not in the RH kernel but if you want to try my patched kernel
I can make it available, or you can build your own if you know how.
We applied the patch and haven't had any panics since. We also didn't notice any
other adverse effects.
Occasionally I still see quota problems if I add a lot of new users (I guess new
quota records is the issue).
Once added, repquota does not display a complete list of quotas but edquota on
the new users shows that the quota has been set.
To fix this I do a quotaoff followed by a quotaon. I assume that the new
records are not being synced to disk immediatly, but I don't know for sure. It
is not causing corruption or crashed so for now I can live with it.
I have not seen this problem after adding only one account.