Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 115308
Evolution crashes on editing To:
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:36 EST
Description of problem:
I am not sure why this problem suddenly appeared. Before I have seen
evolution crash on shutdown, but I can't remember ever having
Evolution crashes when editing a new mail message and either pressing
the "To:" button or editing the "To:" line. Very annoying. I can now
only mail by replying.
Over the weekend I installed a bunch of -debuginfo rpms, thought this
might be the cause for some reason. But after uninstalling all these
the problem persists.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Currently always. Editing a new message, either press "To:" or edit
the "To:" line.
Being able to create a new message and edit the "To:" field.
Created attachment 97555 [details]
Crash dump of evolution crashing on pressing "To:" in new mail message
Created attachment 97556 [details]
strace -f of evolution crashing on clicking "To:" in edit new message
*** Bug 115248 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
According to Gerardo Marin this is a problem with e-table.
Looking at e_table_sorter_new in gal-0.24/gal/e-table/e-table-sorter.c
I am not sure if the problem lies in that function or is GTK related.
Please help me out.
Upstream URL: http://bugzilla.ximian.com/show_bug.cgi?id=54243
Changing component to libgal2.
I did some study of the involved source code. As it turns out there
are no changes whatsoever from libgal2-1.99.10 to libgal2-1.99.11 in
Changes in glib from 2.2.3 to 2.3.3 do not seem to affect
g_cclosure_marshal_VOID__VOID in gmarshal.[ch]. Also there are no
changes whatsoever in gclosure.[ch].
This leads me to conclude that this issue is not yet solved for FC 2
test 2 either.
I believe the problem is in libgal2; do you have the libgal2-debuginfo
package installed? Having a backtrace with full debugging info should
hopefully help to isolate the problem.
Have a look at comment #1: A backtrace. Comment #2: A strace -f.
Please check the upstream URL mentioned in comment #5 for cross reference.
A rebuild of libgal2-1.99.11-1 from FC 2 on FC 1 seems to fix this
problem. However this needs the addition of a symlink from
libgal-2.0.so.5 to libgal-2.0.so.6.0.0 and a symlink from
libgal-a11y-2.0.so.5 to libgal-2.0.so.6.0.0. Not sure if this affects
gtkhtml3, but it seems to fix the crashes in evolution.
Hm. A downgrade to 1.99.10-2 still doesn't give me my old crashes. I
did change the code page to UTF-8 in the mean time. Maybe I should
revert to ISO-8859-15 and see what happens.
Since it doesn't seem as though the original reporter can duplicate this
anymore, and evolution doesn't even depend on libgal2 anymore, I'm closing this.
Also, it WORKSFORME in the latest evolution.