Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1163
Update to XFree86 causes problems with netcfg
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:37:49 EDT
After upgrading to RedHat 5.2, I had no problems with
netcfg. Then I updated to XFree86, version 126.96.36.199-1, as
recommended. Now, when I execute netcfg for the first time
after logging in, to connect to my ISP via a PPP dialup
connection, all attempts to start X clients fail with an
error message complaining that they do not have permission
to use display ":0.0".
A rather annoying workaround is to restart X without logging
out and then re-connecting to my ISP via netcfg.
I found a workaround. I used the xhost command and added my local
I suggest that you use xauth instead, because it is much more secure.
Do a query on www.dejanews.com on "xhost" to see horror stories.
Future releases of Red Hat Linux will not change the hostname for
dialup PPP and SLIP connections, as we have decided that this is not
safe for all programs, X being the most notable example.