Created attachment 968208 [details]
Compilation log for kernel 3.17.4-302
Description of problem:
Updated Fedora20 to 21 with yum (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum?rd=YumUpgradeFaq).
Followed instructions on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel to build a custom kernel using a config file (make oldconfig) for a custom 3.17.4-200 kernel previously compiled and running in the Fedora20 system.
Package creation fails after many depmod "[module] needs unknown symbol" warnings.
Package creation went through after talking away these modules from kernel config:
1) File systems ---> Miscellaneous filesystems ---> Journalling Flash File System v2 (JFFS2) support
2) Device Drivers ---> USB support ---> Wireless USB Host Controller Interface (WHCI) driver
3) Device Drivers ---> USB support ---> BCMA usb host driver
4) Networking support ---> WiMAX Wireless Broadband support
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
kernel-3.17.4-301.fc21.src.rpm and kernel-3.17.4-302.fc21.src.rpm
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Follow custom kernel build instructions on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel using config file available at http://alessandro.route-add.net/Unixalia/Kernel/biostar_p4m90-m4_piv_3.17.4-302.txt plus the modules listed under the "Description of problem" heading.
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.9GZDNQ (%build)
Exit status: 1
Log error with last 80 lines of rpmbuild -bb command attached.
Custom kernel packages should have been made without errors.
This is probably because of the kernel-core/kernel-drivers and/or kernel-modules-extra split. It does depmod to make sure each package has it's dependencies met so there aren't modules that wind up broken after installation.
You kind of need to adjust based on that.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 126342 ***