Description of problem:
setuid/setgid binaries arent stripped by brp-strip etc
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. rpmbuild --rebuild an rom with setuid/setgid binary
Fix appears to have been already applied to find-debuginfo.sh but not
Created attachment 98397 [details]
changes sed regex in brpstrip etc to ignore stuff before ELF
chnages from [
Consider for U6
Created attachment 117532 [details]
Another regexp approach
I noticed this today, too, and created a patch for it before noticing this bug.
Here's my version of it for reference, it uses a slightly stricter regexp
which can be seen as a good or bad thing...
Oh, and BTW, I noticed this on FC4.
One more thing, just so it's not forgotten if this is applied sometime:
Stripping setuid/setgid binaries appears to lose the setuid/setgid bits, which
could silently break existing packages. That should be taken care of in the
This has been fixed for quite a while in upstream rpm.
Ville: Using %attr in spec files is a far more reliable approach to packaging executables
with setuid/setgid bits than working around quirky tool side-effects.
This bug is filed against RHEL 3, which is in maintenance phase.
During the maintenance phase, only security errata and select mission
critical bug fixes will be released for enterprise products. Since
this bug does not meet that criteria, it is now being closed.
For more information of the RHEL errata support policy, please visit:
If you feel this bug is indeed mission critical, please contact your
support representative. You may be asked to provide detailed
information on how this bug is affecting you.