I'm trying to compile rpm-3.0.4 from source and ran into this problem
while running configure. Since I'm using windows right now I can't give
the exact error message but basicly the configure script couldn't find
libbz2.a. I have libbz2.a installed in /usr/lib and I haven't run into any
problems with this library before (although I can't remember compiling
anything that needed it). I did try running ldconfig just to make sure
that that wasn't the problem and it didn't help. I tried running make too
but it failed on some bzip2 stuff which I'm assuming is related to this
You will also need /usr/include/bzlib.h, and may need /usr/lib/libbz2.so.
The Right Thing To Do is install the bzip2-0.9.5d package.
Alternatively, after running ./autogen.sh, edit config.h by hand and turn
off bzip2 support (that should work, but I haven't tried recently).
Alright. Looks like it was a problem with bzip2. I was using bzip2-1.0pre8 and
after going back to bzip2-0.9.5d everything works. I checked the bzip2-1.0pre8
documentation and sure enough the calls to the bzip2 library were all renamed
which would explain my problems.