Bug 11921 - Installer crashes - lost interrupt
Summary: Installer crashes - lost interrupt
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: installer
Version: 6.2
Hardware: i386
OS: Linux
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Brock Organ
QA Contact:
Depends On:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
Reported: 2000-06-06 07:15 UTC by Murray Spokes
Modified: 2008-05-01 15:37 UTC (History)
0 users

Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2000-07-13 19:08:28 UTC

Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Murray Spokes 2000-06-06 07:15:11 UTC

Installing a new system installer screen appears to hang, virtual console 
4 reports <4>hda: lost interrupt

This appears to happen whenever the IDE channel is worked hard - install 
(text) got to loading the Juliet file system.  I have been able to 
reproduce at will on various hardware platforms regardless of whether the 
system is using a SCSI or IDE drive.

I downloaded the boot-20000407.img and built a new boot diskette.  Some 
improvment - install (text) now gets to checking the RPM pacakages after 
selecting a server install.  

The anaconda update makes the symptons worse!  On load of the update 
system reports a change of media on fd0 and then looses the interrupt.

Other Symptons:

Light on CDROM drive on permanently


Intel pentium 120
Adaptec 2940 controller v1.12 bios
2GB Seagate disk
16x IDE CDROM installed on primary IDE as master
2 x TE2000 16 bit ethernet cards
1 x 16 bit vanilla video card
No Mouse
Standard 101 keyboard

Comment 1 Michael Fulbright 2000-06-09 20:10:55 UTC
This sounds like a hardware issue - this particular failure mode has not
been observed in our testing. 

What are the specifics of the systems you have seen this error occur on?

Comment 2 Michael Fulbright 2000-07-13 19:08:27 UTC
Closing due to lack of activity - please reopen if this continues to be a

Comment 3 Murray Spokes 2000-07-13 21:38:54 UTC
I have resolved the problem - it was the IDE CRROM drive itself - although I 
tested the issue on various hardware they all had the same CDROM drive - 
supposed to be a ATAPI compatible device however Linux just did not like it.  

In the end I swapped the CDROM with a SCO system.  The SCO liked the CDROM and 
Linux liked the new CDROM from the SCO box. I have put it down to a hardware 
compatiblity issue.  By the way the original CDROM drive I used was quite happy 
in a NT 4.0 or Win95/98 environment.

Thanks for your interest.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.