Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 120145
Installer fails to detect SATA HDD on via 8237 / K8T800
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:39 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6)
Description of problem:
When attempting to instal the x86_64 version of Core 2/Test 2,
Anaconda fails to detect the SATA HDD attached via a VIA 8237 controller.
"No valid devices found. ..."
Attempted installing via driver disk located at
, no luck (no valid device found on driver disk).
Ran with noprobe and manually selected via_sata driver, same response.
Athlon 64 3000+
Samsung 120GB SATA
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Insert install disc 1 and boot
2. Run vanilla setup
3. Installation will halt after partitioning method selection
Actual Results: Dialog "No valid devices found...". Install stops
and system shuts down cleanly.
Expected Results: SATA HDD detected and partitioning proceeds.
Drive _was_ correctly detected in Core 1 for AMD64, however the
distribution would not run X on the Radeon 9800Pro.
I'm not a complete Linux newbie, but am by no means an expert, so let
me know if the problem lies between my ears...
Is this doing a hard drive install?
This was doing a CD-ROM installation. However, I'll set up for a hard
drive install and let you kow the results.
Same issue. The installer was able to find the disc image on a FAT
partition on the drive (found as /dev/hde), but after installation
type selection the "No valid devices found" problem returned.
Hmmm, the image isn't there for me to look at now...
Many apologies - the curst of case sensitivity strikes again. The
.PNG should be there now.
Hmm, can you switch to tty2 and get the output of list-harddrives?
Also, if you could copy both /tmp/syslog and /tmp/anaconda.log to a
floppy from there, that would be tremendously helpful.
Created attachment 99358 [details]
Created attachment 99359 [details]
hde3 has a 0 raid signature and windows parts
Aha, I see what it is. Fixed in CVS
Wonderful! Is it possible to patch the installation CD with the
modified code, ir should I wait for Test 3?