Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 120167
IA64 is an hour behind at EST-EDT change
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:06:54 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113
Description of problem:
The time on my workstation is an hour behind. I did not notice this
being the case last week. DST started Sunday at 3 AM local time. I
have run "dateconfig" both from a terminal emulation command line and
from the Main Menu. I configured the system to use time.nist.gov as
my ntp server in case I had set the time incorrectly. The time zone
is set to America/Detroit. This was an hour ago. The time is still
an hour behind.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Main Menu > Programs > System > Date/Time Properties
2."Date & Time" tab > "Enable Network Time Protocol > time.nist.gov
3."Time Zone" tab > America/Detroit
Actual Results: The time is an hour behind. A "date" command from a
command line is an hour behind, but it shows the time as "EDT".
Expected Results: It should show the correct time as EDT.
I have a 2-processor Itanium (IA-64).
The actual version of RedHat is aw-2.1AW-9.
I am in western Ohio, so we are on the normal EST/EDT cycle.
Sometimes it takes a while to sync with the NTP server. Is the time
still an hour behind?
Yes. At 8:48:35 EDT (by my watch, which I set to WWV last Saturday,
so it should be within 5 seconds or so), the response to the "date"
command was "Thu Apr 15 07:49:47 EDT 2004". Given the error in the
time, it makes me wonder if it even is hitting the NTP server.
I guess it could be possible that the ntp port could be getting
blocked by a firewall. Other than that, I can't explain why this
Since we passed the Daylight Saving Time threshhold, I set the date as
root. Based on a cursory comparision with my watch (again, set to
WWV), it seems to be over a minute fast now. I think it's not hitting
the NTP server, and that may be the answer (which probably makes the
problem not of RedHat). We are definitely behind a firewall, so who
This is sounding like a deeper problem than dateconfig. I'm going to
change the component of the bug report to ntp.
and report the output
Closing due to inactivity.