Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 121779
Since openoffice.org-1.1.0-15 spelling checks seem to be broken for languages other than english and italian
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:41 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4.1)
Description of problem:
Since the update of openoffice.org-1.1.0-15, the dictionaries for any
language other than english and italian seem to be missing. Because of
this the spellig feature doesn't work for anything but english and
After a couple of days openoffice.org-1.1.0-16 came out and this is
when I first noticed the problem. I know it exists since
openoffice.org-1.1.0-15 because after verifying that it didn't work in
the latest version, i checked it on a non updated computer (which ran
openoffice.org-1.1.0-15) and saw the same behaviour.
A fresh fedora install that never ran up2date works fine
(openoffice.org-1.1.0-6) HOWEVER "rpm -e openoffice.org
openoffice.org-libs openoffice.org-i18n" and then re-installing these
older versions on a system that did have either the -15 or -16
releases installed, does _NOT_ work; the behaviour stays the same.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. update to openoffice.org-1.1.0-16
2. log in as a dutch guy by choosing the appropriate language at login
3. try checking your dutch documents' spelling in oowriter...
Actual Results: I can only choose from
languages; no dutch in sight, which used to be standard, if you logged
in as a dutch person. i tried this for other languages as well, same
Expected Results: I want to check my document in the spelling of the
language I am using.
This problem is pretty showstopper for most of the regular users; What
is particulary eery is the fact that installing an older version of
the package does not undo the nasty behaviour, as I would expect.
A picture of the behaviour can be found at
OOo for FC1 never actually included any dictionaries other than
English and Italian... so I'm not quite clear on how you got Dutch to
work in the first place. If you installed the dictionary yourself,
OOo version upgrades _do_ replace the
/usr/lib/openoffice/share/dict/ooo/dictionaries.lst file, so you may
need to re-add the dictionaries you downloaded. If you check that
file and it still contains "nl NL nl_NL" or some such line, and OOo
still doesn't work for Dutch, then its a bug...
Could you paste the contents of your
/usr/lib/openoffice/share/dict/ooo/dictionaries.lst into this bug
report, and also tell me what files are in the
My excuses; you are right. I was confused. The dictionaries where
user-installed. And I noticed that FC2 includes the dictionaries in
You can close this. my bad.