Bug 122263 - OpenOffice 1.1 help document is missing
OpenOffice 1.1 help document is missing
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Classification: Red Hat
Component: openoffice.org (Show other bugs)
3.0
i686 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Dan Williams
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2004-05-02 11:35 EDT by Granville Xiong
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:07 EST (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2004-05-14 17:16:33 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Granville Xiong 2004-05-02 11:35:54 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; zh-CN; rv:1.4.2)
Gecko/20040301

Description of problem:
When I tried to access help from any OpenOffice.org application by
clicking Help->Contents, I always ended up with an empty help window
with a warning message saying that "The requested document does not
exist in the database!!"

I traced back this problem and eventually found the cause:

The problem lies in the script file "/usr/bin/ooffice". In the section
of "Synchronize OOo UI language with LANG", there is a line:

<value>'$lang'</value>

The killer is the pair of single quote marks! They MUST be removed!
Otherwise the language environmental variable passed to OpenOffice
also contains these quote marks such that OpenOffice will fail in
matching with appropriate language names.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
openoffice.org-1.1.0-15.EL

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Start any OpenOffice.org applications.
2. Click "Help" menu and choose "Contents"
3. Then you will get an empty help window with a warning message
saying that "The requested document does not exist in the database!!"

    

Additional info:
Comment 1 John England 2004-05-08 18:38:50 EDT
Hi-

I had the exact same error.  Unfortunately, I reported this under my
RHEL WS3 account for support on April 30, instead of Bugzilla.  Hope
that info has been passed to Dan.

My comment here is more on bugzilla and RH communication, though, and
my trial at a patch.  Is it best for RHEL WS3 users to report using
Bugzilla or via the standard web support?  It seems that there is a
bit of difference between the two on answering q's and timeliness.

When I reported this ooffice bug under web support, I listed the
Bugzilla numbers.  See 121512 and 120941 

What slipped thru on 121512 is that it was marked as duplicate under
EL3 and Fedora.

I had asked under my web support if I could simply try the Fedora
patch (pkgs version -16. instead of -15.EL.).  After awhile they said
I could try it and an updated package would be available soon.

Trial Patch Fix:
Here is the test - it didn't really work because I wasn't brave enough
to add another Fedora patch for db4 and replace my current version of
db4 with db4.1.25-14:

[root@poudre downloads]# rpm -ev openoffice.org-1.1.0-15.EL 
openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.0-15.EL openoffice.org-libs-1.1.0-15.EL 
 
[root@poudre downloads]# rpm -q openoffice.org 
package openoffice.org is not installed 
 
[root@poudre downloads]# rpm -ivh openoffice.org-1.1.0-16.i386.rpm 
openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.0-16.i386.rpm
openoffice.org-libs-1.1.0-16.i386.rpm 
warning: openoffice.org-1.1.0-16.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY,
key ID 
4f2a6fd2 
error: Failed dependencies: 
        db4 >= 4.1.25-11 is needed by openoffice.org-1.1.0-16 
 
[root@poudre downloads]# rpm -q db4 
db4-4.1.25-8 

Hope that the newest version of openoffice for RHEL WS3 includes a
workaround for this possible dependency under Fedora,
Thanks!
-John England
Comment 2 John England 2004-05-08 18:53:25 EDT
Hi Yuguang:

THANKS for the fix!!!! That is fantastic!!! I much appreciate your
diagnosing it!

In case there are RH "newbies" out there (like myself), here is a (at
least one way) step-by-step command list to fix this bug (# signifies
comments, and shell prompt omitted):

cd /usr/bin #change directory to this place
su  #login as root here
cp -p ooffice ooffice.bak #copy the executable to another name in case
you make a mistake
emacs ooffice #open executable script in editor to edit line
<value>'$lang'</value> and replace with <value>$lang</value>
# save changes in emacs (or other editor) and exit.

This fix works.  Thanks again so much!
-John England
Comment 5 Dan Williams 2004-05-14 17:16:57 EDT
should be fixed in U2

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.