Bug 122456 - evolution: cannot change Subject: encoding.
evolution: cannot change Subject: encoding.
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: evolution (Show other bugs)
rawhide
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Matthew Barnes
: i18n
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2004-05-04 15:09 EDT by Kunihiko IMAI
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:10 EST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: evolution-2.10.1-4.fc7
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-10-02 14:49:25 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)


External Trackers
Tracker ID Priority Status Summary Last Updated
GNOME Desktop 224026 None None None Never

  None (edit)
Description Kunihiko IMAI 2004-05-04 15:09:44 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; ja-JP; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040422

Description of problem:
I tried evolution in Japanese.

When I use Japanese kanji (or hiragana, katakana) in Subject, it is
encoded in UTF-8 Q encoding.

There is a configuration item, Default character encoding at Tools -
Settings - Mail Preferences - general.  This item affects only message
body, not subject.

De facto standard of Japanese e-mail encoding is ISO-2022-JP.  So some
MUAs do not support UTF-8 encoding, especially pre-UTF age program.

I know this is not a violation of MIME encoding starndard.  But it is
better to follow a de facto standarad.  We don't need an evolution in
Subject field :)

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
evolution-1.4.6-1

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. run evolution
2. Choose Tools - Settings - Mail Preferences - General
3. Select `Japanese (ISO-2022-JP)' at Default character encoding.
4. Write a email to myself with Japanese subject.
   for example `te su to me i ru' in Japanese katakana.
5. send it.
6. receive the mail with MH-compatible mailer, for example, wanderlust.
7. see saved raw mail on console or gnome-terminal.

Actual Results:  Subject:
=?UTF-8?Q?=E3=83=86=E3=82=B9=E3=83=88=E3=83=A1=E3=82=A4?=
        =?UTF-8?Q?=E3=83=AB?=

Message body is encoded in ISO-2022-JP.  This is no problem.

Expected Results:  Subject: =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCJUYlOSVIJWElJCVrGyhC?=

- Default encoding configratoin affects in Sublect field.
or
- Another menu item, `Subject encoding', for example.

Additional info:
Comment 1 Akira TAGOH 2005-01-10 22:50:45 EST
FYI, http://bugzilla.ximian.com/show_bug.cgi?id=24026
Comment 2 Akira TAGOH 2005-01-10 23:17:22 EST
Well, the problem here is that MUAs which doesn't support UTF-8 breaks its
subject with replying - when it truncates the subject which isn't decoded say.
Since evolution allows us to change the encoding for the body, hopefully it will
supports to change the encoding for the subject as well.
Comment 3 Dave Malcolm 2005-02-10 17:03:11 EST
The original bug here is reported on Evolution 1.4.6; there's been
activity on the upstream bug report referred to in comment #1

This may be partially fixed in Evolution 2.*: the upstream bug report
has a patch which was partially applied in July 2004.

How well does the code in FC3 perform?
Comment 4 Akira TAGOH 2005-02-22 03:23:48 EST
Well, presumably it will be decided from the body encoding. but, I can't type
any Japanese at all on evo2.2 now because gtkhtml crashes. and when I just wrote
Japanese on only Subject, it was still UTF-8, though. I should file a bug for
this separately then.
Comment 5 Akira TAGOH 2005-05-10 06:06:24 EDT
still happens in evolution-2.2.2-3 (yes, upstream bug is also not yet closed)
Comment 7 Matthew Barnes 2006-12-31 16:24:39 EST
Do you still encounter this problem in Fedora Core 6 or later?
Comment 8 A S Alam 2007-05-17 02:35:10 EDT
 tried to send informaiton with JP-encoding (other than Unicode), on other machine
got following detail with correct letter.


----------
Return-Path: <XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>
Received: from [XX.XX.XX.XX] (XXXXXXXXXXXcom [10.65.6.180]) by
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (8.13.1/8.13.1) with ESMTP id l4H6UPLk015212 for
<XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>; Thu, 17 May 2007 02:30:26 -0400
ਵਿਸ਼ਾ: て素賭芽委る
ਵਲੋਂ: Pune-QE <XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXcom>
ਇਸ ਨੂੰ ਜਵਾਬ: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXom
ਵੱਲ: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXcom
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-2022-JP
Organization: XXXXXXXX
ਮਿਤੀ: Thu, 17 May 2007 12:00:23 +0530
Message-Id: <1179383423.14292.1.camel@XXXXXXX>
Mime-Version: 1.0
X-Mailer: Evolution 2.10.1 (2.10.1-4.fc7) 
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Status: O
X-UID: 399
Content-Length: 107
X-Keywords: 
---------

output seems ok
Comment 9 A S Alam 2007-05-17 02:36:41 EDT
tested with following version:
evolution-2.10.1-4.fc7
evolution-data-server-1.10.1-1.fc7
Comment 10 Matthew Barnes 2007-10-02 14:49:25 EDT
Closing per comment #8.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.