Bug 122749 - Samba is unable to read international characters in filenames
Samba is unable to read international characters in filenames
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Classification: Red Hat
Component: samba (Show other bugs)
3.0
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Jay Fenlason
David Lawrence
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2004-05-07 13:21 EDT by Milan Kerslager
Modified: 2014-08-31 19:26 EDT (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2004-07-22 07:01:03 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Milan Kerslager 2004-05-07 13:21:53 EDT
Because very important files for samba filename manglig (maybe for 
non-ASCII characters only) are (wrongly) in package samba-client, 
there are a big troubles with creating new files, entering 
directories (with national characters) and so on.

This is a problem only when system contain only samba and samba-
common packages (without samba-client).

Move these files from samba-client to samba-common package please:

/usr/lib/samba/lowcase.dat
/usr/lib/samba/upcase.dat
/usr/lib/samba/valid.dat

The command testparm is complaining about missing files too.
Comment 1 Milan Kerslager 2004-05-07 13:32:08 EDT
The problem is only with Win95 and Win98 clients. When client is 
Windows XP or so, there is no problem at all (because XP using 
unicode).

Also the same problem has latest Fedora Core development package 
samba-3.0.3-4.
Comment 2 Jay Fenlason 2004-06-18 15:11:47 EDT
I've built new samba-3.0.4 rpms that are currently going through QA.  
If you want to grab a pre-release copy for testing, I put a copy at 
http://people.redhat.com/fenlason/.samba/samba-*3.0.4-3.3E.i386.rpm 
 
Note that these have not yet passed qa, may not work, use at your 
own risk, etc. :-)  But do let me know how they worked if you try 
them. 
Comment 3 Mark J. Cox (Product Security) 2004-07-22 07:01:03 EDT
An errata has been issued which should help the problem 
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being 
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on the solution and/or where to find the updated files, 
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report 
if the solution does not work for you.

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2004-259.html

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.