Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 122885
could not open default font 'fixed'
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:42 EST
Description of problem:
X wont start, fails with 'could not open default font "fixed"'
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
latest XFree86-4.3 update using yum
I wish I knew! ... this hasn't been the first time I installed and
updated FC1 and never have had this problem.
I've seen this problem with earlier releases of XFree in bugzilla, but
all those bugs should be fixed by now (at least they were as far as I
The error message 'could not open default font "fixed"' occurs for
a number of reasons all related to misconfiguration. Some of which
- fonts that are improperly installed
- font files or directories with incorrect permission or ownership
- font directories with invalid or missing fonts.dir entries
- no fontserver running
- various other font or system misconfigurations
This error is never a bug in the X server, and always indicates
a system that is misconfigured in some manner or another. Careful
inspection of all aspects of font configuration is required in order
to pinpoint the specific problem and resolve it.
While we are not able to provide technical support for misconfigured
systems via bugzilla, if you require technical assistance to resolve
this issue, there are different avenues which you may find useful:
- http://www.google.com - cut and paste the error into google
- Red Hat mailing lists
- X.org or XFree86.org mailing lists
Setting bug status to "NOTABUG"