Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 123133
kernel boot partition check hangs on extra harddisk
Last modified: 2007-04-18 13:07:28 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98)
Description of problem:
After adding an extra disk to an RH 8.0 system the disk will not
get through the partition check at boot. Otherwise the system works
system P166, 96 MB, hda 8GB, hdb cdrom, hdc 120 GB works OK.
Tried to add extra hdd harddisk (120 GB), tried just about all:
- Western Digital (slave setting, or cable detect).
- Bios detects the disks and they can be accessed from DOS.
- Bootloader Grub + RH 8.1 Kernel will just hang on partition check.
- Tried different bios settings (autodetect, manual, different
- Even tried the disk alone as master on the cable and as slave on
the other interface as hdb instead of the cdrom
- Tried an other disk Samsung... same problems
I'm just stuck, the machine will work with a hdd=noprobe, but with no
access to the disk. Even putting in the hdd=cil,heads,sectors will
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
this product end-of-lifed last december, and hence will recieve no
The bug is solved after upgrading to Red Hat 9