Description of problem:
There is some overflow in 1.99_12 which causes the process name in the ps list to be
overwritten with bogus values.
For example, /usr/sbin/httpd will be overwritten to be /usr/sbin/-e
Not cool, and indicates possible buffer overflow.
I fixed the problem by download the SRPM for 1.99_12, downloading the source fo
1.99_13 from the perl.apache.org site, and updating the spec file then recompiling. The
symptoms went away.
I'm marking this as High severity because it could be indicative of a severe memory leak -
under testing with a complex mod_perl webapp (@mail) I found a process with over 1GB of
memory assigned to it. After upgrading mod_perl this problem went away.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install fedora core 2 (or core 1)
2. Install mod_perl
3. run some mod_perl app and watch the process name get overwritten
mod_perl-1.99_14 has been released. It fixes some important bugs, nothing security
related that I can see - still, if you guys are going to rebuild this package, might be good
idea to go to 14.
[Bulk move of FC2 bugs to Fedora Legacy. See
This doesn't seem to be important enough to fix just on its own, so mark it DEFER.