Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1253521
[RFE] Provide templates in /usr/share/openshift/examples/ as tar, zip or RPM include.
Last modified: 2016-04-04 08:26:48 EDT
Description of problem:
- After update v3.0.0.x to v184.108.40.206, we still hit the issue bz1245032 .
- The reason is that update steps described in  doesn't update the templates in /usr/share/openshift/examples/.
- Nobody wants to re-run install scripts to update templates. We can update by replacing the files, if you provide the template as tar or zip.
1. Update to v3.0.0.x to v220.127.116.11 followed by 
2. Create new application with template in /usr/share/openshift/examples/
- We will hit same issue with .
- We update templates and won't hit the issue.
I filed this RFE to provide templates as tar or zip first. However I think we can consider that we could include them in RPM package.
Lowering the severity because this is not a release blocker. It sounds like the xpaas templates may soon be released as a zip file. Whatever solution is determined for the rest of the templates needs to take Atomic Host installs in to account. RPMs cannot be installed there.
> It sounds like the xpaas templates may soon be released as a zip file.
I heard about it more than 10 days ago, but the progress is unclear and no update.
Therefore, I filed this request to watch the progress. Please don't wait for the customer any longer...
Have we released these templates yet in a zip file??
Sort of, they're collated currently in openshift-ansible, so you can download that repo as a zip file and pull them from roles/openshift_examples/files/examples
However, we'll likely move them from ansible into the openshift RPM as that will enable us to ensure that new content is delivered along with OpenShift releases. Right now they're really only updated if a user updates the installer or openshift-ansible and re-runs them, which rarely if ever happens.
This doesn't meet the needs of non-entitled or non-rhel hosts like a developer running MacOSX who wants to look at the templates. I think this bug should be split to address those two needs separately and each bug should be prioritized individually.
This issue (RH doesn't provide template as zip or RPM) is not so severe, but inconvenient, since "/usr/share/openshift/examples" is made on only host on which ansible installer.
Also, we can't track their versions..
OK, I realized that we provide the template in the package openshift-ansible-roles under
Can we close this ticket?
Sure. Definitely let us know if customer prefer another approach.