Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1254682
Consider removal of Nuvola Player 2.5 from Fedora (broken, FTBS, abandoned upstream)
Last modified: 2015-12-12 05:00:43 EST
I'm a developer of Nuvola Player. While I appreciate Nuvola Player has been packaged for Fedora (thank you for your work!), the current version of Nuvola Player in the Fedora repositories makes more harm then good and I would like to request its removal.
Nuvola Player 2.5 is currently unmaintained and broken. Users should switch to the rolling beta of Nuvola Player 3.0 instead as it contains many fixes and far better user experience, especially under GNOME desktop.
Some of the known issues of Nuvola Player 2.5:
* Playback is broken out of the box on Fedora, because NP 2.5 requires custom wrapped Flash plugin to work around incompatibility between the flash plugin and the first generation of WebKitGtk. NP 3 doesn't have this limitation, because it uses the second generation of WebKitGtk.
* The lyrics fetching feature is broken (fixed in 3.0).
* Last.fm scrobbling is not reliable and fails silently (fixed in 3.0).
* At least two streaming services (Google Play Music and 8tracks) don't work as a result of upstream change of the Web UI (fixed in NP 3.0).
* It points to documentation that no longer exists.
* It fails to build with recent Vala compiler releases, e.g. https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1239740#c4