From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7)
Description of problem:
Here is the output from yum:
[root@ns2 ~]$ yum -y update
Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Testing
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Released Updates
Server: Mesh Linux / server for Fedora Core 2
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
I will do the following:
Running test transaction:
Test transaction complete, Success!
I know it should at the very least by updating the kernel package if
not other packages.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. yum -y update
Actual Results: No packages downloaded and installed
Expected Results: Packages downloaded and installed
It isn't an offical yum package, but then I just rebuilt it to add a
custom yum.conf. I also use this package on many other systems running
FC2 without a problem.
I have tried looking at the rpm database and rebuilding it, with no luck.
I have also tried rm -rf /var/cache/yum/* without results.
Check your configurqation. If you are looking at an
older or empty repo, you will see the behavior above.
Try adding -d 5 and examine the debugging spew to see
what is happening.
I figured out the problem. Not sure it if is a rpm bug, yum bug, or
both. The two systems I found with the problem were at one time i586
systems. After install I moved the hard drives to better hardware.
They became i686 systems. When I commented out exactarch=1 in yum.conf
it started to work, but instead of downloading a i686 kernel rpm it
started to download a i586 kernel rpm. I stopped it and checked both
the kernel package that was installed and /proc/cpuinfo. Both reported
i686. So then I did a grep -r i586 /etc and found /etc/rpm/platform
with i586-redhat-linux instead of i686-redhat-linux. I changed the
file to i686-redhat-linux, and now yum works with exactarch=1.
Created attachment 101017 [details]
yum -d 6 -y update output
Hmmm, it's hard for an application to figger when the arch changes
because the disk moved, most apps lack inertial sensors ;-)
Yes, /etc/rpm/platform needs change, as that sets the arch
for the platform. Usually anaconda writes that file ...
ok so I figured out why it's saying this.
yum is going through the deps, realizing there is nothing, with
exactarch=1 set, that it can do with the available packages and
available system (in short changing archs w/o completely changing
archs confused the hell out of it :), and it should be exiting, but
it's not it's saying, do whatever is left, but there is nothing left
to do. :)
I've checked a fix into yum cvs to address this.