Bug 125749 - up2date SEGV's on new RHEL3u2 install
up2date SEGV's on new RHEL3u2 install
Status: CLOSED WONTFIX
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Classification: Red Hat
Component: rpm (Show other bugs)
3.0
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Jeff Johnson
Mike McLean
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2004-06-10 16:40 EDT by James Antill
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:07 EST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2004-06-11 09:34:54 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:


Attachments (Terms of Use)
gdb --args python /usr/sbin/up2date -l (4.40 KB, text/plain)
2004-06-10 17:05 EDT, James Antill
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description James Antill 2004-06-10 16:40:02 EDT
Description of problem:
 New Install of RHEL3-u2, ran rhnreg_ks with activation key. Then
doing "up2date -l" works but SEGVs just before comming back to the prompt.
 gdb shows it inside /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rpmmodule.so

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

rpm-4.2.2-0.14
rpm-python-4.2.2-0.14
up2date-4.2.16-1


How reproducible:
 Always atm.

Additional info:

 Attached is an strace and a gdb.
Comment 2 James Antill 2004-06-10 17:05:14 EDT
Created attachment 101048 [details]
gdb --args python /usr/sbin/up2date -l
Comment 3 Jeff Johnson 2004-06-10 17:25:41 EDT
Hmmm, -0.14 not what is in QU2, afaik. you might want to upgrade.

No matter. Do the following:
    cd /var/lib/rpm
    rm __db*
    /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_verify Packages
If that fails, the fix is
    mv Packages Packages-ORIG
    /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_dump Packages-ORIG |\
    /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_load Packages
and until rpmdb_verify passes.

Then
    rpm --rebuilddb -vv
to regenerate the indices.

Finally, rpm -qa -vv to verify that the headers
are intact. If that passes, I think you are alright.

If not, append the output of rpm -qa -vv and I'll tell you what to do.
Comment 5 James Antill 2004-06-10 21:29:54 EDT
                                                                     
          
 According to both up2date and ...
                                                                     
          
https://rhn.redhat.com/network/software/packages/name_overview.pxt?package_name=rpm&channel_arch_ia32=&channel_arch_ia64=&channel_arch_x86_64=&search_subscribed_channels=1
                                                                     
          
0.14 is the latest for RHEL3.
                                                                     
          
 I did all the rpm rebuild stuff, and none of it printed out anything
that looked like an error. And I thought it had fixed itself, but then
realised that I was running via. sudo and so /usr/bin was in front of
/usr/sbin so consolehelper was fork()ing the actual up2date which was
still SEGV'ing (apart from "up2date -u" not doing anything everything
works fine).
                                                                     
          
 Attached is the tar file of stdout/stderr for the: rpm -qa -vv
Comment 6 James Antill 2004-06-10 21:33:12 EDT
 Just in case the above wasn't clear, I did:

    cd /var/lib/rpm
    rm __db*
    /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_verify Packages
    rpm --rebuilddb -vv
    rpm -qa -vv
[ran up2date ... ]
    rpm -qa -vv > /tmp/rpmqavv_stdout 2> /tmp/rpmqavv_stderr
Comment 7 Jeff Johnson 2004-06-10 23:35:40 EDT
OK, your database is find, that's the 1st step. The strace
showed rpmdb activity, easily identified by pread(2) calls.

up2date can segfault with bad data in /var/spool/up2date
as well. Can you try up2date with -vv? that turns on
rpm debugging, and I can often guess what the problem is from
seeing the spew.

If it looks like a hdr read in /var/spool/'up2date, you might
try nuking that file, or all the headers there. Network
problems can corrupt rpm hdrs, and the format was never
designed to detect errors. So segfaults can/will happen sometimes.
Comment 8 James Antill 2004-06-11 09:34:54 EDT
Arggggh, the header problems I'd seen before happened just after
up2date opened the .hdr files. But, yes, going through the packages to
install I realized that "up2date -u squid" was not working and a "rm
/var/spoool/up2date/squid*" fixed everything.

 Resolved.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.