Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1259533
Add prequisite for subscription-manager in relation to hosts (satellite 6)
Last modified: 2017-05-18 21:45:35 EDT
1. Proposed title of this feature request
We need documentation review in relation to hosts that will be registering to the Satellite.
If a host tries to register using activation keys that has version Red hat 6.1
The subscription-manager version will not allow --org options.
So they can't register without updating subscription-manager
If a host registers using subscription-manager-1.8.22-1.el5
The product overrides option doesnt work. The product overrides, is so that customer doesn't manually have to enter subscription-manager repos --enable reponame
It's set by the Satellite via activations keys.
One customer resolved the issue by upgrading subscription-manager to:
2. Who is the customer behind the request?
Account: name and acct # <- please include both
TAM customer: no/yes no
SRM customer: no/yes no
Strategic: no/yes no
3. What is the nature and description of the request?
Make a change to documentation in relation to subscription-manager
4. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
Its needed to inform customer, about the prequisites that a host requires.
5. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
Make adjustment to Satellite 6.1 docs
6. For each functional requirement listed, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
7. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat Bugzilla?
8. Does the customer have any specific timeline dependencies and which release would they like to target (i.e. RHEL5, RHEL6)?
9. Is the sales team involved in this request and do they have any additional input?
10. List any affected packages or components.
11. Would the customer be able to assist in testing this functionality if implemented?
IIUC, we need to find all places were the use of activation keys on hosts is mentioned, and find a suitable place to warn that "a certain version" is required.
I think the version required is subscription-manager-1.10+
The Host Configuration Guide has:
Automated Host Registration with Activation Keys 
But I think a note at the beginning of the chapter  would be better
Assigning to Julie for review.
Julie - looks like we'll need to add a comment at the start of the chapter on configuring activation keys ( above) telling users they need subscription-manager version 1.10 or above for everything to work as anticipated.
I've reviewed this bug and checked the default subcription-manager version in the RHEL 7 and RHEL 6.7 (which is a quite old version of the 6.x) and they are all subscription-manager-1.14 or above, so I don't think adding a note about subscription-manager-1.10 makes sense anymore. This is a pretty old bug after all.
I'll leave this bug opened for a few more days in case anyone has other feedback.
The important thing is what versions of RHEL hosts might be used by a Sat6 user. Unless the Sat6 docs say RHEL6.0 and RHEL5 are not supported then then this bug is valid.
You could also try to find out which versions of RHEL did not already have subscription-manager-1.10 or higher when they were released.