Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1262941
Running "openstack overcloud deploy" to update a deployment does not seem to work.
Last modified: 2016-04-18 02:56:04 EDT
Description of problem:
We are working on developing a plugin into the RDO-Manager (OSP-Director) installer which will enable the installation of Nuage as a part of the installer code. As a part of the development process, we have followed this document to deploy undercloud and overcloud:
We have defined a few Nuage specific parameters and some updates to neutron.conf and nova.conf via heat templates and pass the same using the "-e" option to the "openstack overcloud deploy" CLI.
What we have noticed is that after a deployment in HA mode (using overcloud_controller_pacemaker.pp) even though the hiera database gets updated, the value in the relevant configuration file is not being updated.
For example, when we change the "core_plugin" parameter from ml2 to nuage after overcloud was deployed, in HA mode, the output of "hiera neutron::core_plugin" reflects "nuage" as the value, but the value in neutron.conf stays at ml2.
This behavior is not seen with a single controller setup (using overcloud_controller.pp).
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Always (10/10 times)
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Deploy overcloud following the steps outlined in (for HA mode deploy 2 controllers) : ftp://partners.redhat.com/b5d52ebbb756856c8e7e6f44880b4741/OpenStack/Documents/director-01jul-html/index.html
2. Once the overcloud is deployed, try to expose core_plugin by modifying relevant files in /usr/share/openstack-tripleo-heat-templates/ on the undercloud.
3. Once its exposed, set the neutron core plugin resource (say NeutronCorePlugin) to anything other than ml2.
4. Re-run the openstack overcloud deploy" command with the -e option pointing to your yaml file which sets the NeutronCorePlugin value.
5. Post deployment, go to the controller overcloud machine and in sudo mode, check the hiera value of core_plugin. If you set things up the right way, you will be able to see the value you set in the template file here.
6. Now check neutron.conf and it continues to say "ml2".
7. This is true on both controllers in HA mode.
core_plugin in neutron.conf is ml2.
core_plugin should be nuage
The workaround for this is currently to pull down the overcloud and re-run the overcloud deployment with the updated values. It takes extra time and effort to deploy overcloud over and over again (no pun intended :)).
Hi, the update seems to work for me. I'm thinking it could be something related to the specific settings you need to override. Could you please provide the following:
1. a list of the hiera parameters you are providing when launching the update
2. the exact steps performed to provision those additional parameters when launching the update
Hi Vinay, we could not reproduce your bug. Are you still hitting this bug? Could you please provide more info for Giulio as requested? Thanks, Jarda
(In reply to Jaromir Coufal from comment #6)
> Hi Vinay, we could not reproduce your bug. Are you still hitting this bug?
> Could you please provide more info for Giulio as requested? Thanks, Jarda
Hi Giulio, Jaromir,
Someone from my team will be testing this again and will get back to you soon.
Apologies for the delay.
didn't actually mean to close this...
Vinay, can you get us that information please? If you believe this is a blocker for the 7.2 update, we really need this information by Tuesday at the latest. If I don't hear back, I'll look to close this bug in 2 weeks, though you can always reopen if you reproduce it.
Closing, please reopen if you reproduce the issue