Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1263299
Too few voices for the Festival speech synthesizer in Fedora
Last modified: 2016-07-19 13:54:06 EDT
Description of problem:
Fedora offers (at least) 2 speech synthesizers:
- eSpeak - simple, lower HW requirements, more voices available, but the speech output sounds robotic;
- Festival - sophisticated, higher HW requirements, not so many voices available, speech sounds more like human voice.
Fedora comes with more than 60 voices (different languages) for eSpeak, but includes only 8 (US) English and 2 Spanish voices. Nevertheless there are more free voices for Festival available on the internet, e. g. Czech.
I propose to add the Czech (or even other) Festival voices to Fedora. Here are the reasons:
- it will increase quality of the OS accessibility for other groups of visually impaired users;
- it will increase number of users of the Festival speech synthesizer which is already a part of Fedora;
- some other Linux distributions (at least Debian) already have these voices in their repositories;
- the inclusion should not be technically complicated;
- there should be only small maintenance needed for future builds - the sources are static data, unlikely to be ever modified.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Four Czech voices and support files are available at http://devel.freebsoft.org/festival-czech and http://devel.freebsoft.org/festival-czech-diphone-database
I filed this issue also for RHEL 7.2 - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1263288
Fedora 22 changed to end-of-life (EOL) status on 2016-07-19. Fedora 22 is
no longer maintained, which means that it will not receive any further
security or bug fix updates. As a result we are closing this bug.
If you can reproduce this bug against a currently maintained version of
Fedora please feel free to reopen this bug against that version. If you
are unable to reopen this bug, please file a new report against the
current release. If you experience problems, please add a comment to this
Thank you for reporting this bug and we are sorry it could not be fixed.