Bug 1268300 - RFE: update default memory to 2 GiB for Atomic
RFE: update default memory to 2 GiB for Atomic
Status: NEW
Product: Virtualization Tools
Classification: Community
Component: libosinfo (Show other bugs)
unspecified
Unspecified Unspecified
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Matthias Clasen
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2015-10-02 09:15 EDT by Alexander Todorov
Modified: 2016-09-19 21:47 EDT (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
: 1269099 1269101 1269102 (view as bug list)
Environment:
Last Closed:
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Alexander Todorov 2015-10-02 09:15:48 EDT
Description of problem:

As far as I can see RHEL 6.7 is completely missing. 

7.1 is present  but for some reason virt-manager when using http/.treeinfo identifies it as rhel7.0

OTOH when using ISO media
7.1, 6.7 and 6.6 are identified as Unknown.

Also for Atomic Host the current defaults for memory should be 2 GiB because the installer contains the OStree content inside itself. See bug #1235558.

The file command reports the following for these ISOs

RHEL-6.4-Server-x86_64-boot.iso:            ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'RHEL_6.4 x86_64 boot' (bootable)
RHEL-6.5-20131111.0-Server-x86_64-boot.iso: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'RHEL_6.5 x86_64 boot' (bootable)
RHEL-6.6-20140926.0-Server-x86_64-boot.iso: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux' (bootable)
RHEL-6.7-20150702.0-Server-x86_64-boot.iso: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux' (bootable)
RHEL-7.0-20140507.0-Server-x86_64-boot.iso: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'RHEL-7.0 x86_64' (bootable)
RHEL-7.1-20150219.1-Server-x86_64-boot.iso: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'RHEL-7.1 x86_64' (bootable)



Let me know how to proceed with this b/c I'm not familiar with how libosinfo stored it's data. I see bunch of XML files which looks similar but I have no idea which one to patch.
Comment 1 Christophe Fergeau 2015-10-02 09:34:03 EDT
(In reply to Alexander Todorov from comment #0)
> Description of problem:
> 
> As far as I can see RHEL 6.7 is completely missing. 
> 
> 7.1 is present  but for some reason virt-manager when using http/.treeinfo
> identifies it as rhel7.0

I'm not sure libosinfo is involved with identifying these

> 
> OTOH when using ISO media
> 7.1, 6.7 and 6.6 are identified as Unknown.

6.6 detection was added upstream in libosinfo v0.2.12, and 7.1 information is only in libosinfo.git 

> 
> Also for Atomic Host the current defaults for memory should be 2 GiB because
> the installer contains the OStree content inside itself. See bug #1235558.

This is documented here indeed https://access.redhat.com/articles/rhel-atomic-getting-started#memory

> 
> The file command reports the following for these ISOs
> 
> RHEL-6.4-Server-x86_64-boot.iso:            ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data
> 'RHEL_6.4 x86_64 boot' (bootable)
> RHEL-6.5-20131111.0-Server-x86_64-boot.iso: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data
> 'RHEL_6.5 x86_64 boot' (bootable)
> RHEL-6.6-20140926.0-Server-x86_64-boot.iso: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data
> 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux' (bootable)
> RHEL-6.7-20150702.0-Server-x86_64-boot.iso: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data
> 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux' (bootable)
> RHEL-7.0-20140507.0-Server-x86_64-boot.iso: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data
> 'RHEL-7.0 x86_64' (bootable)
> RHEL-7.1-20150219.1-Server-x86_64-boot.iso: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data
> 'RHEL-7.1 x86_64' (bootable)
> 
> 
> 
> Let me know how to proceed with this b/c I'm not familiar with how libosinfo
> stored it's data. I see bunch of XML files which looks similar but I have no
> idea which one to patch.

See https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/libosinfo.git/commit/?id=3dcfa43b221b9e5a04878a37f91727696deadd57  https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/libosinfo.git/commit/?id=6c3ddecb5e9167c6eff182ac62358c9e96c47d36 for what was done for adding rhel6.6/rhel7.1
The test cases correspond to 'isoinfo -d -i $isopath' output.
Comment 2 Christophe Fergeau 2015-10-02 09:34:41 EDT
(and reporting only one issue per bug report is generally much more manageable)
Comment 3 Alexander Todorov 2015-10-06 06:55:51 EDT
See bug #1269099, bug #1269101, bug #1269102 for the other issues.

(In reply to Christophe Fergeau from comment #1)
> > 
> > Also for Atomic Host the current defaults for memory should be 2 GiB because
> > the installer contains the OStree content inside itself. See bug #1235558.
> 
> This is documented here indeed
> https://access.redhat.com/articles/rhel-atomic-getting-started#memory
> 


Let's track making the default memory settings for Atomic Host 2 GiB here.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.